Telephone to Mixer

Radio Shack sells a dedicated device for this but I'm a cheapskate so I use the speaker on my answerphone and a Rode NT-1. Remember that the quality of phone transmissions are equivalent to 8 bit/11KHz digital audio (well- maybe a hair better, but a very thin hair ..... :) ) so don't get too involved trying to keep the quality up. You're just jerkin' yourself around.

Thanx drstawl.

Hey Gargamel, THAT'S OBVIOUS!!! Mostly working on getting my hardcore 1 hour weekly hardcore show off the ground on net radio... what about you?

Radio Shack probably still sells an inexpensive little inductance pick-up with a suction cup that you lick and stick on the back of your telephone receiver near the earpiece. The one I have has a 1/8 inch mono male plug that mates with just about every portable tape recorder ever made.

Some of today's phones may *physically* present a challenge if the surface of the back of the receiver is not smooth and relatively flat. These were made to stick on the back of standard Bell System corded phones, which were made of slick, indestructible Lexan. I finally went back to a corded phone recently, because so many of the cordless variety have such crappy sound. I want a phone made from a warm condenser mic and a pair of Sennheiser 600s!

If you'd like to scare yourself, check out the telco equipment at
http://www.bswusa.com/

A Radio Shack stick-on mic for $4.98 starts looking like a REALLY good deal. I don't even know what most of that stuff does. ;-)

Mark H.

Many Cell phones have a headphone out for hands free talking. Just get an adapter that goes from the really small plug to the kinda' small headphone size plug, and you're good to go.

Oh, either the ring or the tip will be the headphone out. The other will be the mic in.

Back