Tech advice on effect pedal

maxman65

I'm toying with the idea of a zoom m70 multi effect pedal . However dont have electric guitar . Is it possible : acoustic guitar ( no pick up ) into condenser mic into mic preamp into multi effect pedal into 8 track and get :
A. Fail
B. Possible
C. Possible but lame
D. Possible with decent sounds

Many thanks

Assuming you meant the Zoom MS-70CDR, if I get a chance later today (and I remember), I'll try a condenser mic and preamp into the one I have. The input impedance on the MS-70CDR is 1 megohm, so it will be very much higher than the output impedance of any preamp I have. I had bought it for use with a couple synths I have which are on the low impedance side for the outputs and it worked OK for those, so I don't think a mic preamp would be too much problem.

Yes ms-70cdr. Seems to have some nice ambient delays / reverb . The preamp I'm using is art v3.

Hey there, I just tried a quick test of the Zoom pedal, but rather than a 'real' mic preamp I used a Yamaha MG-06X mixer since it was handy and already setup. There really shouldn't be much if any difference between the output of this mixer and that of a mic preamp. I used a RODE M2 (handheld condenser mic) into the mixer and output the mixer into the Mono in of the Zoom. The L and R outs of the Zoom went into the L and R inputs of a Tascam DR-40X so I could see how the Zoom sounded in stereo. The room I tried this in isn't the quietest or treated and there was a heat circulation fan in the background that was heard softly in the recording. I think if the fan wasn't running what I recorded would be pretty quiet. I probably could have played with levels more, but an acoustic guitar sounded good and the Zoom pedal makes for some interesting vocal effects which I can't get on some of my vocal effects boxes. The Zoom has unbalanced ins and outs, so use 1/4" TS cables for connections from the preamp and to the recorder.

One of the reasons I got the MS-70CDR is a couple of the patches supposedly do well at emulating a Strymon reverb pedal.

Many thanks . Yes I've been listening out for youtube going through the presets . Sounds like there might be a few usable ones there . Yes I was trying to get around the Strymon just based on price . Still checking out the Market

Just FYI the Behringer UMC204HD has 'Inserts' on its two mic inputs. Effectively and effects loop.

Dave.

Back