Teac a3440

Jybo

Hello all.
Newbie here.

Just purchased a Teac A3440.
And guess what? it doesn't work.
Well it has issues with wanting to work. Mind you it is 40 + years old.
So can anyone help please.
I've just replaced the capstan belt and the motor and flywheel work okay.
Issues are ..1.capstan solenoid popping in and out on play, but plays sound intermittently. 2. Both rewind and fast forward motors are slow ( but did seem to work when machine first switched on from cold. Then slowed down to nothing. Both motor brake solenoids switch in and out okay.
3. When it did rewind you could hear sounds.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks jybo.

As far as the FF and reverse slowing down….

Check your heads for gunk. Tape that suffers from sticky shed can bring those motors to a crawl.

As far as the FF and reverse slowing down….

Check your heads for gunk. Tape that suffers from sticky shed can bring those motors to a crawl.
Hi.
Yes I've degunked the head's. Didn't make any difference.
I've since freed the capstan arm, which was very stiff.
Run the motors without tape and they seem okay.
Run smaller reels through, and forward and reverse seems fine.
Could be the 10.5 tape I was using?
But the play still isn't working correctly, all the solenoids are coming on, then off. But this only kicks in after about a minute of normal play.
Thanks.

Solenoids dropping out smacks to me of low supply voltages, that sort of work will need a skilled tech' and overall you are looking at serious money.
I have an A3440 in good order except that it does not record or erase, i.e. bias oscillator fault. I have not been well enough to tackle it for 6 months and I might either look for a tech' or sell it as is.

Dave.

Solenoids dropping out smacks to me of low supply voltages, that sort of work will need a skilled tech' and overall you are looking at serious money.
I have an A3440 in good order except that it does not record or erase, i.e. bias oscillator fault. I have not been well enough to tackle it for 6 months and I might either look for a tech' or sell it as is.

Dave.
Hi Dave.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Voltage dropping, would that point to a capacitor, or could it be multiple things?

If you're thinking of selling your Teac let me know. I may be interested?
Thanks again.
James.

I have a question: Why are you keen on using an old machine like that?
Hello TimOD.

In answer to your question.

I record and play music, instruments, and Write songs etc 'Or try to' .
I have computer software and digital harware to record on, but wanted to explore the older ways band's used to record, I thought it would be fun and interesting.
I know these machines can be temperamental but also have a love of machinery or trying to keep it maintained.

Cheers James.

Hi Dave.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Voltage dropping, would that point to a capacitor, or could it be multiple things?

If you're thinking of selling your Teac let me know. I may be interested?
Thanks again.
James.
Could be a cap' or a faulty regulator. I have not had a look at the schematics this ten years. Do you have them?
I definitely want to sell it. Have tapes, NAB spools, a de maggerm EMI bloc but I am in Northampton UK and it must be collected.

Dave.

Could be a cap' or a faulty regulator. I have not had a look at the schematics this ten years. Do you have them?
I definitely want to sell it. Have tapes, NAB spools, a de maggerm EMI bloc but I am in Northampton UK and it must be collected.

Dave.
Hi Dave.

Well that's something to go on, thanks.

Yes I have the schamatics. A service manual.
Your not to far away.
It would depend on how much you wanted for the machine, and maybe the individual items you mentioned, on wether it would be worth the trip.

James.

Back