Teac A-2300S

What is so hard to understand on as simple a deck as this? There is no sync capability so that will not work like a 4 channel deck with sync- sync means playing previous channels off the record head to keep timing in place. These A2300S deck are great machines and as long as the heads are good then all you have to worry about is dirty pots to spray with a contact cleaner after taking the left side board off. I repair and restore these and worked at Teac where I saw a lot of these- that is not that they break down a lot but that even then we saw an occasional deck with a stuck pinch roller linkage which now days is a given. There is a lot to do to restore these. Most people think all it needs is a belt which in most cases due to the belts made back then you do not- I tell my trainees that there is no such thing as it only needs a belt- that is a line from a person who wants a restoration done for cheap- I tell those that tell me my business that it only needs a belt to go change the belt and let me know how that works for you. These deck were made for tapes that were horrible by today's standards. Bother LPR35 and MDS36 which I calibrate machines for now is three decades past the tapes like Scotch 203. I decrease the record EQ as is required and then bias the decks to get very good bandwidth as long as the heads are still good. If it has worn out heads- I can put new ones on- it is only two of them. The oiling of the capstan bearing with a good oil is the most beneficial. In using AMSoil in a A2000R which was made before the A2300S I got wow and flutter of .02%. The deck would work a lot better once it is in competent hands and restored properly. Electrolytic recap of the deck is very much time now. This deck is good for 1/4 track stereo tape playback and record but will not accept 10.5" reels. For those you need a A3300S,SX, SR or X1000R. There are a lot of decks that Teac made that can be used. The A6300 is a popular one that got even more popular after I made comments about it on a forum. I used to get them for $50 but not anymore.
The A2300SD is a special animal and built a tighter way- being it has Dolby in it which most don't even use- it is build in such a way that it has the best construction of all the units and I had one get to 26KHz at 0Vu inside of plus or minus 2dB. The SD usually commands a higher price and has more people looking for them.

Excellent. I did have a place that sold Pdf files for like $5.00 and most the time they were good. But you found it and so that is good enough.

Back