Teac 80-8 .. any info?

The 80-8 is capable of making a fantastically good recording if you find one in decent shape.

It's one short coming is that it's sync response is not equal to its repro heads frequency response so, while over dubbing, your taped tracks will sound pretty muddy but upon normal playback, they will pop back to full response.

The newer decks like the 38, 48, 58 and TSR-8 don't have this design issue and as well being newer machines may offer you fewer service issues and better parts availability.

300 pounds seems a bit on the high side, price wise for one to me but, I am not familiar with the British market place for used gear so this may be a decent deal for that region of the planet?

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
The 80-8 is capable of making a fantastically good recording if you find one in decent shape.

It's one short coming is that it's sync response is not equal to its repro heads frequency response so, while over dubbing, your taped tracks will sound pretty muddy but upon normal playback, they will pop back to full response.

The newer decks like the 38, 48, 58 and TSR-8 don't have this design issue and as well being newer machines may offer you fewer service issues and better parts availability.

300 pounds seems a bit on the high side, price wise for one to me but, I am not familiar with the British market place for used gear so this may be a decent deal for that region of the planet?

Well the guy selling it says it´s in top shape, apparently the machine has low hours. The price is in Euros by the way, so that would equal about 350$ I think. I might get the price down about 50E.
What kind of console you think would go well with this particular machine?
I´ve heard good stuff about Soundcraft, Albini used one in his pre Neotek days apparently.

Mixers?

Soundcraft did and still do make some nice clean boards. The M12 looks like a decent board.

TASCAM as well, made some very decent desks back in the 80's so, a 300 or 500 series TASCAM would also serve you well. That's what I use myself; a couple of M312B from TASCAM.

The Ghost of FM said:
Mixers?

Soundcraft did and still do make some nice clean boards. The M12 looks like a decent board.

TASCAM as well, made some very decent desks back in the 80's so, a 300 or 500 series TASCAM would also serve you well. That's what I use myself; a couple of M312B from TASCAM.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Wow, I'm getting a great deal on this machine; 200 Euro's !!

Han said:
Eddie, does the machine come with DBX NR? Without it its a pretty hissy machine.

Nope, but I will be purchasing a unit if it is as bad as you say it is.
What are your opinions on this machine? There are 2 for sale at marktplaats right now. The guy I am buying it from is from some studio in Haarlem, dyou know anyone there?
What's also cool is that he's going to calibrate it first before selling it to me.

Eddie, my brother once bought a new 80-8 which was some hfl 8k I believe.

I don't know the guy from Hlm, but the machine is built like a Centurion tank.
Much depends on the condition of the heads, if they're worn the machine will be a PITA.

Finding an 8 channel DBX NR box will not be very easy bro.

Best of luck!

Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does hfl 8k mean?
There's another 80-8 up for sale too, which comes with DBX and 3 tapes. I might be able to get that for 225. Nice!

Sun 11th July,Leeds,UK 2004

Hello Eddie Vegunst,
What is the Teac 80-8? What kind of features does it have? Sorry for me asking any of this, it is just that I have not come across one, but then you mentioned that it is an older type, so that is probably one of the reasons that I do not know anything about them? Hey, you can not know everything, can you?

By the way we could converse in Dutch as I am also a native speaker of Nederlands. However this would exclude all our American,Canadian and other friends, so let us keep this in plain English.

Here is something for the Ghost: The Netherlands [as you earlier assumed] is not part of Britain, I know it now all gets confusing: Eddie Vergunst lives in the Netherlands, and I [who is a native from the Netherlands] live in the UK. Sorry for getting all a bit too personal, next time we shall return to gear, see ya later dudes.

Eddie de Hamer

Hello Eddie

Hoewel ik van Canada ben, Ik kan, met groot pijnomgekeerde in uw taal. Het is slechts de Amerikanen die moeilijkheid gelovend hebben dat een
wereld voorbij het Engels bestaat.

Ben goed.

Several things to watch out

A Teac 80-8 can still be good IF

the pinch roller and other rubber parts are still intact. Some wear due to friction is not necessarily bad, but chemical disintegration is.

the tape heads, poles and rolls are o.k..

all transport modes (play/rec, fast rewind, fast forward, edit, cue) work flawlessly and do not stress the tape, the heads nor other parts. If it makes bruises and noises, if the tape touches the play and rec heads even in FF and RR modes, and other anomalies occur, the machine is defected.

all modes (input/sync/repro) work fine. Teacs, newer models like Tascam 38, too, have a design flaw which makes some FET semiconductors (used for signal switching, i.e. a cheap alternative for the traditional electro-magnetic-mechanical relaises) fail after some time and use. I can fix this in an hour. (There still are some electro-magnetic-mechanical relaises in those machines, and while the types used in the Teac 80-8 are heavy-duty, the ones in the Tascam 38 do break occasionally. With the Tascam 38 the spooling motors can fail, too.)

all tracks record fine. Pay attention to a clean constant reproduction of trebles! DBX amplifies the effects of bad tape. Get a good tape as for example a new Quantegy 456 or an Emtec 900! A tape that is as old as the machine will disintegrate and leave lots of brown mud on the machine after a few minutes of playing. A good modern tape has few noise. In case that you record high signal levels, S/N ratio will be fine even without DBX. DBX I/II/III and Dolby B/C/SR alter the sound and impair reliability to an extent that I do not find any serious application. (It was suitable if it worked at lower signal levels, at the levels where Dolby A works.) I am a drummer and cannot stand DBX. If you play Rhodes on lullabies or the low registers of a church organ on meditative music you may prefer DBX.

the counter roll does not slip out (annoying!). A couple of FF and RR and see if the numbers are right! Although this can be fixed by seating small rubber hoops on the roll.

These Teacs are oldtimers, truely vintage gear. And while a radio can play for centuries with just a bit of electrical power and maybe a new electron valve once in a while, tape machines wear out.

EddieVergunst said:
Excuse my ignorance but what exactly does hfl 8k mean?
There's another 80-8 up for sale too, which comes with DBX and 3 tapes. I might be able to get that for 225. Nice!

Hfl= Hollandsche Florijnen
8k= 8000

Oftewel achtduizend gulden, achtduizend piek, achthonderd joeten, tachtig meier of acht rooie ruggen. :D:D:D:D

Btw, take the one with DBX, but be sure the machine is in good working order, read Uli_the_Grasso's post carefully.

DBX can sound quite boomy, Dolby A, Dolby S or SR is superior to DBX.
OTOH, DBX is very quiet.

ahh crap... I just found out there's actually no DBX unit included. There was one in the picture, but apparently he doesn't have it anymore.
Is the noise really as bad as you say it is?

Well, I once owned a Tascam 38 and that machine was een behoorlijke ruisbak (pretty hissy) , I've never owned a 80-8 but I presume it won't be much quieter than the 38 without NR.

A professional machine like a Studer, Otari, MCI, Telefunken will be a lot less hissy, for the electronics and head design is another level.

I can run my Otari 2" machine without NR on most pop/rock recordings.

The Tascam 38 I've had many moons ago sure sounded very good though.

I still have a Fostex B16 on which I've recorded "The Gathering" (Always) back in 1992 and I also have a Tascam MSR24S (Dolby S) machine, both of them get never used anymore.

I do not say that it is. It is a whole lot less than that of a compact casette. DBX kills all the noise, and that does not come for free.

Get proper tape! Get a demagnetizer and learn how to use it!

I forgot one point in my checklist: A second-hand machine could be electrically de-aligned. On the Teac 80-8 the pots are so easy to reach... There are so many different types of tape (456/7, 499, GP9, 900, 911, 358, ...). But the heads are tightened very well, and the tape speed is that high, that the azimut is always right.

The Ghost of FM said:
Is hoe veel dat in Amerikaanse dollar? :confused:

LOL, One euro is 1.19 American dollar, the old Dutch guilder (hfl) is 0.4537802 euro.

You can do the math.:D

Back