Teac 25-2 2T (Teac 7300 2T) How much? What's fair?

jrdamien

For sale locally, he wants $150, will go down to $125. What are these worth? I need a decent 2T mastering deck.

FWIW my friends here in Montreal, Canada got their 25-2 for $100.
I thought it was a decent deal, I felt recordings off the machine sounded good. However, I did find it a bit of a hassle to precisely align. If I were to buy one I'd try to get one type of tape stock and stick to it.

It's reasonable @ the asking price, assuming it checks out ok. It is basically the same machine as the Ampex ATR 700 with the following exceptions: It has on-board dbx while the Ampex does not. It is -10 in/out while the Ampex is +4. (No big deal, IMHO.) It doesn't have sel-sync while the Ampex does.

Be advised that the capstan motor is not repairable and there are no more to be had.

You then need to scavenge another machine for a working motor. The Otari 5050's used the same one, btw.

This being the case, doesn't it make these machines next to worthless?

Welcome to the world of obsolete audio. A working machine that has been well cared for may have many hours of good use left on it. When something catastrophic happens, the good parts can be used to get another machine up and running. It took 20 + years for the capstan motor on my 25-2 to die. The spare motor I acquired has been humming along for at least 15 years now. It will, of course, eventually fail but I figure that the machine really doesn't owe me anything anymore.

Yeah Risky you said it. I really want to mixdown from my 388 to tape, but the more I debate, the more I'm thinking straight to pc.

Anyone want to weigh in on the pros vs cons of mixdown to tape vs pc?

Please, you are making it sound like all tape users are living in fear that their capstan motors will seize up. Many people also 'scare' you that the heads on your machine will wear out and you won't be able to find replacements. These tape machines lasted decades in studios where they were being using all day everyday, so those that sat in private homes still have lots of life left in them. Also, there are still lots of parts/damaged decks available for next to nothing, get yourself one and you can easily keep your machine working for another 10+ years.

Think about how long your DAW lasts, a couple of years then they stop making updates and change OS and your DAW is no longer compatible, your tape deck will probably last longer than any DAW that you can buy on the market today.

mixdown to tape vs pc is really just about what is more convenient/easier for the user as well as the users personal preference, so trying both is probably the best thing you could do.

Please, you are making it sound like all tape users are living in fear that their capstan motors will seize up. Many people also 'scare' you that the heads on your machine will wear out and you won't be able to find replacements. These tape machines lasted decades in studios where they were being using all day everyday, so those that sat in private homes still have lots of life left in them. Also, there are still lots of parts/damaged decks available for next to nothing, get yourself one and you can easily keep your machine working for another 10+ years.

Think about how long your DAW lasts, a couple of years then they stop making updates and change OS and your DAW is no longer compatible, your tape deck will probably last longer than any DAW that you can buy on the market today.

mixdown to tape vs pc is really just about what is more convenient/easier for the user as well as the users personal preference, so trying both is probably the best thing you could do.

I'm not trying to scare anybody. Anyone in the market for an analog deck, should be armed with as much info as possible. My original reply stated that IMO, the asking price was reasonable, assuming the machine checked out ok. To the best of my knowledge, the only thing not repairable on a 25-2 is the capstan motor. That being said, I'm certain there are other machines using that motor that can be purchased as parts bins, many will have a useable motor.

If it's in descent functioning and cosmetic condition, then GO FOR IT! I would.
You hardly see those around and they look super cool. Plus, $125 isn't much for a vintage Mastering Deck.
I wanted to get one SO bad to match my old TEAC 80-8 and Model 5 "Tascam Series" setup.
Good luck!

I'm not familiar with the models but if it's a TEAC RTR deck it's worth $125.00 if it's in nice condition and working. It's especially worth that if it's 15ips and half track.

Wow. That looks more than worth it. If that's a half track then it's worth twice that IMO.

35319.jpg

Back