Teac 2300sx heads, how do they look?

Towser12

Hello,
I’m considering buying a Teac 2300sx R2R. From what the seller tells me, it’s in good working order. I received a picture of the heads today. I realize a long shot, but how do the heads look? The tape path really needs a good cleaning. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. 69DF064B-684B-4EF9-938C-E176C97FA823.jpeg

It's always difficult to tell from a photo.

But from that I can make out, they seem okay - assuming the gouge in the middle head is a reflection of the tape guide post, and not actual damage. They are a bit flat and would benefit from relapping but they should have some life left in them as far as I can tell.

Hello,
I’m considering buying a Teac 2300sx R2R. From what the seller tells me, it’s in good working order. I received a picture of the heads today. I realize a long shot, but how do the heads look? The tape path really needs a good cleaning. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks. View attachment 127301
The Head on the far left doesn't look too healthy - the middle head has a gouge it looks like - the head on far left has a hole in it.

I agree. It’s hard to tell head condition from a pic. But..... just looking at the gunk on the guides, this is a machine that was poorly taken care of.

If it's possible to get shots from different angles that would help determine whether the suspect parts are reflections or damage.

I agree with the above comments although I don’t think you have a gouge or a hole, but the erase head does have corrosion on it and I see other evidence the machine was, at least for some period of time, in a damp environment. And yes the gummed up lifters say not well maintained. But the wear in the lifters looks average so I agree the heads probably have decent life in them, and the wear looks even (no keystoning or trapezoidal wear pattern). As always, you know nothing unless you have them professionally evaluated, and the value of the machine is in the heads. But hopefully you’ve gotten enough insight to help you make a decision.

Back