TDK SA90 still available through OfficeMax???

jjones1700

Learning, always learning
For those that are looking for TDK SA90 cassettes, I accidentally stumbled upon this deal through the OfficeMax website.

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=ARS23911&history=us2tyy26|prodPage~15^freeText~tdk+cassette^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~2^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

I bought 10 packs of them. I guess I will wait to see if they actually arrive or if I get an email in the next day or two saying "no longer available". But hell, for $2.99 for a 2 pack, I couldn't pass up the opportunity!

Just figured I would let you guys know, you know, the ones who don't already have 50k cassettes stocked up for the next millenia.:p

Thanx!

Great tip!
Price?? $1.50/tape is pretty reasonable, I guess.
Let us know how your 50K tapes arrive. ;)

Also, Please let us know where the tape was made. I have about five different versions of this TDK SA90 & SA60, in which there are some made in Japan (tape), but assembled in Thailand. Some made in Japan / assembled in Japan. Some made in Japan / assembled in Canada. Some made in Canada / assembled in Thailand,...and the worst of all,...Made in Thailand / assembled in Thailand.
There is a huge difference in quality on the Thailand / Thailand tapes. Horrible,..just horrible.
The ones I've found to be the best are the Japan / Canada & the Japan / Thailand.
Very curious as to where these were made / assembled, and thanks for the tip!

From the picture on the Office Max site they look like the Tape Made in Korea/Assembled in Thailand variety. I have some of those and they're perfectly fine. I've used TDK SA since late '79 and there have been times when quality has gone down hill, even when all made in Japan. In the mid-80's I had to stop using TDK and switched to Denon HD7 because the dropouts in SA made it unusable. Now it’s very tricky with all the different versions. At one time I would have said try to find the ones made in Japan, but can’t say that anymore with certainty.

I have a bunch of NOS SA-X, some made in Japan/assembled in USA from 1991 and some later stuff made in EU (European Union, but don’t know what country)/assembled in USA. This is all great stuff. Sounds as good or better than the early 80’s SA-X I came to know and love. The cassette shells are certainly better design than early TDK.

Now TDK Tape division belongs to Imation with limited offerings, but the tape seems ok. I like the later Maxell XLII made in Korea /assembled in Mexico better now however.

:)

I like the later Maxell XLII made in Korea /assembled in Mexico better now however.

:)

I have used the XLII about 99% of the time over the last 20 or so years. I never had any real complaints about it. Now that most jokers want about $10/tape for the XLII, I have to run with the SA90 until I find a cheaper source of the Maxell.

My tapes from OfficeMax just arrived. They are indeed SA90 tapes. (10) 2 packs is what I ordered and they are all here. They are the ones that the tape is made in Korea, and assembled in Thailand. The colors on the front are more of a purple color than the medium blue that I'm accustomed to. Haven't tried them out yet. I also just received a small lot of SA90 off ebay. These are tape made in Japan, assembled in US, with the familiar (well, later stuff anyway) blue label. At some point I will A/B/C them with one of the older gold/black SA90 that I picked up last year just sitting in a glass case with a bunch of bulk tapes at Sam Ash.

Back