Taylor guitar ES question?

mcmd

Hi,

I recently bought a 410CE :). I plan on recording direct and also micing the guitar....does anyone know whether the ES system will have a problem if the phantom power is active on the pre-amp?

Thanks,

mcmd

Probably not an issue, but it is a two channel output, and they are VERY - what's the word here - delicate. If you are going to record it direct, you should be using a direct box anyway, because the impedance will be too high coming out of the guitar. Expect to spend a lot of time with the guitar in the shop for ES troubles, and expect it to fail at the worst possible times as well.

Light

"cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Probably not an issue, but it is a two channel output, and they are VERY - what's the word here - delicate. If you are going to record it direct, you should be using a direct box anyway, because the impedance will be too high coming out of the guitar. Expect to spend a lot of time with the guitar in the shop for ES troubles, and expect it to fail at the worst possible times as well.

Light

"cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi
What you saying? Some of Taylor's onboards are unreliable? ;););)

I pass them on to someone else these days. Despite that Taylor sent me a big box of spares just the other day and I never even asked for them. Thats confidence in their own product for you.

What you saying? Some of Taylor's onboards are unreliable? ;););)

I pass them on to someone else these days. Despite that Taylor sent me a big box of spares just the other day and I never even asked for them. Thats confidence in their own product for you.

The real thing of it, to me, is that they don't appear to be actually trying to do anything about it. They make small changes, but the boards are still not designed to be durable, and the sensors are just not that well made.

My favorite one is the guy whose power supply got so corroded the end inside the guitar blew off inside his guitar, and made a bit of a dent in the neck block. Any system where you have to wrap the batteries in a Post-it note seems ill advised to me. Maybe the new power supplies with the 9-volt batteries will be better, but the sensors are still going to be a problem.

But then again, what do you expect from a guy who wants to get every guitar out of the factory in under 15 hours of labor?

(I should stress here that I'm not knocking Taylors customer service here, just some of their design decisions. When you have a problem with a Taylor, if you are the original owner they WILL take care of you, without question. They are the only company in the world that I know of who legitimately give Martin a run for it's money on customer service.)

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Guitar goes to the repair shop on Wednesday - the ES is dead!!!.....just a big hum noise - like a bad cord/connection.......I guess I am not surprised after reading a boat load of ES issues across the web......so it seems that I'm going to be camping out at the repair shop until the warranty is up?.....dissapointing......acoustically the guitar is great....

/mcmd

Guitar goes to the repair shop on Wednesday - the ES is dead!!!.....just a big hum noise - like a bad cord/connection.......I guess I am not surprised after reading a boat load of ES issues across the web......so it seems that I'm going to be camping out at the repair shop until the warranty is up?.....dissapointing......acoustically the guitar is great....

/mcmd

Warranty up? It's a Taylor - it's got a life time warranty, so they'll cover it until you sell it. Officially, I think the electronics warranty might have a limited time span, but they don't seem to care much about that - I've even seen them cover ES repairs on used guitars (though they don't seem to be doing THAT anymore, which is wise of them).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Guitar is home :)....2 days in a local Taylor repair shop....needed a sensor replaced.....got new strings, oiled fingerboard.....can't really complain...

/mcmd

Back