Taylor acoustics

mjbphotos

I've been jonesing for a Taylor for a long time, but the best ones (and new ones) are just way out of my price range.
So I picked up a used 310CE on fleabay last night, it's the lowest dreadnought model with solid wood (spruce top, sapelle sides/back). Price was too good to resist - I bid just $10 over the last bid with 7 hours to go, thinking I wouldn't get it, but did! One scratch in the bottom, doesn't look too bad.

And the price was low enough that if I don't like it, I can put it back for auction and not lose any money. :guitar:

I've had a Taylor Big Baby since 2003 and love it to bits man! I'm a short/small guy and normal dreadnaught acoustics engulf me in guitar :( I borrowed a friends 814ce a couple of years back for some recording and wasn't instantly blown away but when i went back to the big baby the differences, although subtle in reality, felt profound! I've had a lot of faithful service outta my big baby but the higher series (300+ series) have always caught my eye.

I really hope you enjoy it man and look forward to hearing the results :thumbs up:

I bought a leftover 2001 Taylor 314ce brand new for $1200 in 2002...
I played the shit out of it for 10 years...after ten years it needed a neck reset and new frets....
I sold it for $1000 in 2012 without the work being done....

It was the second best guitar I have ever owned.

I just love dreadnoughts, so really wasn't interested in the GA models. Now I just have to convince the wife to let me keep it! :rolleyes:

Follow up ....

my wife started talking to me after a couple of days ...

The seller took more than a few days to ship it - the guitar came in a huge box 12 days after the audition ended, using old comforters for packing material!
Pulled it out, seemed to have survived the shipping ok. Then I put on my glasses and inspected it.
Scratches in the top surface above the soundhole - not pick marks.
Back had a deep scratch about 3 inches long, and another couple of marks. Side near the strap button/jack had a series of scratches, deep.
OK, I'm not happy - guy had indicated one (only) mark on bottom surface and had sent a picture of that. I found that and it was on the top, not bottom.
So, I plug it in. Snap*Crackle*Pop. Whole preamp was shot - moving the controls brought more crackling, sound occasionally poppping on for a second. Popped open the preamp, just touching it on the sides made more cracklling.
I didn't wait, filed a 'Buyer Protection' case with Ebay right then. Seller sent a message 'what's wrong with the guitar?', I replied, no answer from him, I sent another reply and included close-up photos of all the scratches - Ebay can look at these - evidence! He had 6 days to reply, never did, so I forwarded the case to Ebay to decide, got the return shipping label (their expense) this morning, so I'll get it shipped back this week and get full credit back to my Paypal when it the seller gets it back.

Lesson learned. I still want a Taylor (it actually sounded really good acoustically), but probably won't jump on another Ebay sale real quick! I'll keep saving up my Paypal money.

Sorry to hear that.

I don't see myself ever buying a guitar from eBay and your story just reaffirms that.

Most of mine were bought brand new, except for one pawn shop find.

Ebay is crap. I'll never buy anything from an individual on ebay. Retailers on ebay, sure. I'm not trusting some shmoe though.

The more I hear people saying this, the more I think I've been extremely lucky.
I've been through a good few hundred ebay transactions and have only had a handful of hiccups.
All but one of those was resolved with an email and an "oops, sorry, here's your money back".

They only one that really tried to stick the boot in me was a retailer selling a used digi 002 which arrived from the US with faults.
I had to file a claim that time and it fell in my favour.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, MJB. Hope you find a nice guitar soon.

A guy left his 414ce here for a day or two. It's a lovely thing.

The more I hear people saying this, the more I think I've been extremely lucky.
I've been through a good few hundred ebay transactions and have only had a handful of hiccups.
All but one of those was resolved with an email and an "oops, sorry, here's your money back".

They only one that really tried to stick the boot in me was a retailer selling a used digi 002 which arrived from the US with faults.
I had to file a claim that time and it fell in my favour.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, MJB. Hope you find a nice guitar soon.

A guy left his 414ce here for a day or two. It's a lovely thing.

I've personally never been burned with ebay. I've just read enough from people that have to stay away. It's not worth it to me. I'm lucky enough to live in a gigantic city with a thriving local used market and/or I buy used online through retailers with return policies. Craigslist deals are fine with me because I can meet the person face to face, physically see and touch the product, and later, if need be, track the seller down and beat the fuck out of them and kill their family while I make them watch. Can't do that with ebay.

Craigslist deals are fine with me because I can meet the person face to face, physically see and touch the product, and later, if need be, track the seller down and beat the fuck out of them and kill their family while I make them watch. Can't do that with ebay.

Yeah, I've always thought ebay should have hired goons or something. Would really move things along sometimes. :):)

Yeah, I've always thought ebay should have hired goons or something. Would really move things along sometimes. :):)

I know a guy that buys tons of stuff off ebay. Small things like fishing reels and car parts and stuff. He's constantly making claims and bickering with sellers. I ask him, why do you do it? He's addicted to the "deals". He's addicted to sniping someone with .5 seconds left on the clock and winning an auction. Dude has an impressive collection of fishing gear though. :D

Come to think of it, I did buy a violin from eBay last year. Good deal until I got it. Something was rattling around inside. I emailed the seller and his response was, It's an easy fix!!.. WTF, why didn't post this when you sold the damn thing?? He was good about refunding my money.

I have bought other stuff from ebay, but only stuff that isn't really subjected to someone's opinion of condition, like UAD cards, books or camera lens.

I've bought a ton of stuff on ebay, including a few guitars. One of them showed up with the headstock broken off - it took a while and a bunch of communication but the insurance paid quite a bit of the price and it was repair-able, so I still count that as a good experience (it's the guitar in the picture above, in fact)

I've never had a Taylor, but a friend of mine recorded some tracks with his and it sounded fantastic - somehow better than the guitar does in the flesh (in the wood?)

Come to think of it, I did buy a violin from eBay last year. Good deal until I got it. Something was rattling around inside. I emailed the seller and his response was, It's an easy fix!!.. WTF, why didn't post this when you sold the damn thing?? He was good about refunding my money.

I have bought other stuff from ebay, but only stuff that isn't really subjected to someone's opinion of condition, like UAD cards, books or camera lens.

It wasn't the soundpost was it...:o

Back