Tascam MX-80 Repair...

reporting back! Everything went smoothly and now I have working phantom power on my MX-80! Thanks so much for your help and for babying me along the way haha. Also managed to find a decent phantom power unit on Reverb for a steal, solid construction and an actual kettle lead instead of a 5v power supply so no noise at all :thumbs up:

reporting back! Everything went smoothly and now I have working phantom power on my MX-80! Thanks so much for your help and for babying me along the way haha. Also managed to find a decent phantom power unit on Reverb for a steal, solid construction and an actual kettle lead instead of a 5v power supply so no noise at all :thumbs up:
What supply did you end up getting? I have an old Ross single channel unit as well one made by Stewart Audio…both up to the task…

What supply did you end up getting? I have an old Ross single channel unit as well one made by Stewart Audio…both up to the task…

I linked it in the previous post too, but its a studiospares 2 channel unit. The rear of the unit says that it supplies 0.1A, which after a google still feels like enough to supply all my 4 condenser mics with the correct amperage?

I'm now having issues with one particular condenser microphone not coming through. After testing all the cables, and the channel on the MX80 with other condenser mics I have, I determined that it was the microphone, an sE Magneto. Theyre fairly cheap and I had had it for years so I didnt think twice. I tried it on direct inputs on my tascam interface and it had been intermittent and crackly. I ordered an sE X1 as a replacement, again, a cheap condenser but I always liked the sound of the Magneto and couldnt find one for as cheap as I initially found mine, so I went with the X1. Again, the same issue arose, but this time it would work with my direct input to the interface, but not through the MX80, whereas all my other condenser mics worked through that channel/cable combo. I'm really perplexed here and have no idea what could be causing this. I found this page (https://shorturl.at/yFM18) detailing a repair that someone had done on an X1 which includes a knock off circuit design of the X1, and was wondering if you or anyone else would be able to see if theres something in this diagram that doesnt gel with my MX80 and the subsequent phantom power fix, in a way that still works with other condenser microphones.

Thanks again for all your help, and to anyone else who might be able to help with this! My head has been well and truly SCRATCHED

Schoeps.jpg

Back