Tascam MSR-16 won't record or playback

The Actor

My Tascam MSR-16 which I collected a month ago had an odd problem. Pre-recorded tapes play back ok, but when I want to record some new material, the led meters indicate there's sound going through the machine, but it won't record. When I playback the tape, only a very, very faint recording is heard (when turning the volume all the way up). What might be the problem here?

I gently cleaned the tape path and heads using a mild cleaning compound (Commandant no. 4) as used to clean car paint. For this, I removed all heads and put them back again.

I have no idea what "Commandment No. 4 " is in non-biblical terms so I can only offer the advice to use a high grade isopropyl alcohol, 95% purity or higher and clean all the metallic parts that that tape path touches, especially the heads! And when applying it via Q-tip, do not be so gentle. Give the heads a good scrubbing in the direction that the tape crosses the heads and clean repeatedly until there is no more dirt, (brownish oxide) showing on the Q-tip. If after that, you're still having a problem, let us know.

There is also no need to remove the heads in order to clean them! In fact doing so can risk misaligning the heads and guides as well as risk damaging any connection wires leading to the heads. Clean the heads where they lay.

Cheers! :)

Commandant no. 4 is a rubbing compound normally used for polishing car paint. It also works miracles on metallic surfaces. I'll try cleaning the heads with alcohol and demagnetize. Thanks for yor replies

I doubt cleaning and demagging will cure this problem. Either there is something wrong or OP is operating the machine wrong.

OP says that pre-recorded tapes play back ok, but not own recordings, although teh LED meters "deflect." the MSR-16 is a one head machine, have you checked and double checked all the switch settings? (Disarm the tracks on the MSR-16, switched to tape in or however you have it patched on your board---I've forgotten to do that last bit more times than I'd like to admit and scratched my head a few times wondering where the sound went...)

What other gear is this connected to, i.e. what board are you using?

And second to the don't use some kind of car polish on teh heads... Use highest concentration rubbing alcohol you can find.

not rubbing alcohol though...that IS isopropyl alcohol but in too weak a concentration which leaves room for stuff you don't want on your heads.

Look for at least 91% concentration, 99% is better ut harder to find. Good quality denatured alcohol is good too.

Thanks for your replies. I've ordered 99,8% isopropyl alcohol. I will have an expert look at the MSR. Hopefully he can locate the problem.

Hi, I just purchased a nice MSR 16, but am having the same problem.. I have sound coming into the machine from the board.. the leds show a nice signal on the track meters.. then I hit play and record, and all the red lights go solid as they should. Then when I rewind and playback, no leds, and no sound.

When I demo -ed the unit, we tested the record and playback on all the tracks two days ago and they all worked fine. I must be missing something or am a total idiot. Is there some other button that needs to be hit or engaged for this to work?

It's as if I am recording on the wrong side of the tape...?

Seems this is the problem of the month with Tascam equipment!

Plays back pre-recorded OK but will not properly record!

I have my 48 apart for the same reason and recapping the power supply hoping it's a voltage supply problem.

If not maybe a main board prob.

Very odd this should happena nd now to a few!

Not to insult your intelligence, but...

if, by chance, the mixer and recorder are miswired to each other, it will produce the same problem.

That is, if you have the mixer outputs plugged into the recorder's outputs, (instead of the inputs), the recorder will deflect on the meters and etc, but it will not actually record.

Just trying to suggest covering all the simple stuff as well as possible. Without taking a look first hand, would only be guessing.

Also make sure first that the head is spotlessly clean. Any sort of big spot of sludge from SSS would give the same problem.
:eek:;):spank:

Hello to all! First post here.
I was hoping you guys found an answer to this problem as I've just purchased an MSR16 and same problem! was it just that the cables were in the wrong place, is it named badly?
Been a while since I used tape but I know my way around studios and was stumped by this! Only found this thread when I got home!
It would be great if you could enlighten me as to what the problem turned out to be!
Thanks in advance!

No doubt!

If the "input" signal (coming from the mixer) is inadvertently plugged into the "output" jack on the recorder, it will activate the meter but it won't record. Simple as that.

Thanks for finding the savvy solution!
:spank::eek:;)

Hello to all! First post here.
I was hoping you guys found an answer to this problem as I've just purchased an MSR16 and same problem! was it just that the cables were in the wrong place, is it named badly?
Been a while since I used tape but I know my way around studios and was stumped by this! Only found this thread when I got home!
It would be great if you could enlighten me as to what the problem turned out to be!
Thanks in advance!

Give as much information to work with as possible about your wiring and recording procedures... and also the kind of tape you are using and if the tape was purchased new by you or previously used. Having super low playback can be due to the tape alone.

Hi guys, Thanks for the replies!
I did quickly check that it was not wired up wrong and it was hooked up correctly! For the checks I wired the groups outs of a toft atb into the inputs and drove a high signal into the machine with the outputs patched into channel line inputs (not routed to the groups). the tape machine meters the signal and passes it back to the console but once you record and play it back (unarming the track) there is no signal on the tape.
I was given a few tapes with the machine, I know the guy I bought it from and his tech will check it if I can't sort this out. I reckon the tapes are real old and the heads are pretty dirty. He has been using the machine up till he sold it to me so I'm confused as to why its not working correctly.
I have ordered fresh tape and have isopropyl alcohol, cotton buds and a demagnetizer ready to go once the tape arrives! it could easily be that it just needs cleaning! I guess. I hope to have this machine in perfect running order soon as I have a few all analogue projects coming up, and I'm sure plenty of questions its been years since I used tape, really looking forward to it.
How are these machines thought of? since getting into the idea of tape I've been offered the loan of a teac 80b but reckon I'll get this one sorted first!

Make sure the tape is threaded right,and the tape lifters are not stuck holding the tape from the heads.If you have a O-scope you can verify record bias.Without the bias-it won't record

Back