TASCAM MS-16 Sync head playback issue

Oscar Sunqvist

Hi all, I'm just ending an 8 day session with a band, using a MS-16 and ATR tape, have had no issues until today, during tracking I noticed I was getting very, very reduced signal from tracks 9 & 11 on the sync head, while Repro head plays back perfectly.

I figured the heads were getting dirty so I took the tape off, and they were. Dirtiest of the session by far, so I cleaned the helllll out the heads but the problem remained. The playback on the Repro head is flawless, 9 & 11 are doing as they should, but the Sync head barely moves the needle.

I have another session coming through next weekend and am hoping to get this resolved by then. Other than the bit of dirty tape, nothing for the session was different when this problem came up. I guess I can try to demag and see if that helps, but I was wondering if anyone far more knowledgable than I has any ideas or might have experienced this issue and maybe could point me in the right direction to get this solved.

I appreciate any insight into the matter, if anyone has any further questions about this please relay them to me, I'll be checking back here frequently.

If I should find the solution myself I will post back here with an update incase anyone finds the same problem some day!

It's a little muffled as well, but not really bad. I'm giving the track about 15dB of gain on the console and it is sufficient for tracking. I tried wiggling the cables that are attached to the rear of the sync head and that gave me a little more signal, the needle is moving now. I'm going to try to investigate a little more once the session ends.

The head stacks plug into a connector PCB. Exercise the connections and if that doesn’t help look for cold solder joints.

Back