Tascam M520 PSU Cable - Connectors

Starliner

Hello all,

Been reading with interest all the Tascam M520 posts, and also the 312B posts. I have a number of various Tascam units.

I have a Tascam M520 and the PS-520 power supply. Got this from a friend who closed his studio and moved away, and I do not have the power cable, nor any way to reach him. Even if he does have it, most likely it is in a storage unit somewhere.

Does anyone have info on where I could get at least the Hirose connector parts to build my own cable, or know of a source for one? And what about the latching connector body... I assume that is a separate item?
Thanks to all!

Starliner

There is probably no cable you can just buy anymore. The connector parts will need to be researched and a cable built with regard to current capabilities and the type and number of conductors of the cable needed. There were places that would make a cable for you like Gepco International but I am not sure they still do that and they too will need to get the technical data and connector just like you. You are lucky as some guys have mixers and not even a power supply- everything is hooked together how can large parts be forgotten?

Hi,
Thanks for replying!

I figured finding one intact would be a long shot. I am a life-long electronics tech (pretty much retired now), but built cables for unmanned aircraft and ground-support radio gear among other things. I know this cable uses 20-pin Hirose connectors, but I don't know their current availability, or sources. I believe the pushbutton connector housing and the matching latch plate are Tascam items (but not sure).
Worse-case: I retrofit another type of connector into the PSU and mixer... the cable / wiring itself is not an issue.

It might be possible to still get connectors but after 30 years companies like to move on and make connectors more aimed a what is happening today.
The current capability can be determined by power ratings of the power supply wattage wise and of course putting a power supply that has more capability will be not a problem but one that is overloaded would not be good. Most of these mixers except for lamp circuit for meters are low power- look at the current of op amps they used. The could be like 10mA each. The higher current op amps or amplifier sections would be the XLR outs and of course the Headphone amps. It is a research project I would say.

I found some pics online showing one of the connectors being rewired. It is a rather complicated affair I think for a relatively simple application, although it seems to be well-made. It looks like the entire assembly is a Hirose item, probably a custom-manufactured run for Tascam. I guess the question really is: do I keep looking for a replacement (probably used), or do I engineer another solution?
I know I can wire in a cable to do the job, but it is the connectors that pose the bigger question. Have to think about this...

Just an update:
I did figure out one connector is a Hirose / Sumicon 1600 Series, specifically # P1620A. This came from pics Sweetbeats had posted some time ago. I am still looking for the number for the other end's connector. Thanks!
Starliner

One spec sheet I read on the dB25 it says that the maximum current is 5A so it might do. The companies usually spread some voltages through parallel pins so as to make connections redundant and all greater current flow overall.

Thanks! That is good to know. It remains a possibility to use DB25's in the event the Hirose is indeed made of Unobtanium.

I am sure that there are Canon and Molex connector that will be more than sufficient. I used to use mate N lock connectors that had a D like polar connection and were good for 10 amps. The Canon connector I saw were used on VCR's that we hooked up on planes but I am sure these are no longer on planes as computers took that over. They seemed to be military grade and water proof. I know they were not going to be cheap.

Hi,
I've sent info about the Hirose to my "badger" buddy. He's going to see what he can dig up, as he has better access to locations and personnel that are electronics-related. I used to work with Amphenol and Molex connectors quite a bit, and they each worked well. If at all possible, I'd prefer to stay with the stock connectors... I know it may be a pipe dream. If my friend has no success, I will look into alternate connector solutions.
Thanks,
Starliner

A question about the M-520 / PSU cable (may be perceived as dumb, but):
In the cable.... does pin 1 on the PSU go to Pin 1 on the mixer, pin 2 to pin 2... and so on?
Wanted to make sure there was no change in the pins between the PSU and the mixer sockets.
Thanks!

UPDATE - Nevermind... More research indicates this is the case... pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc.
Starliner

Last edited:
I FOUND IT! The missing PSU cable!

In a massive cleanout and reorganization, the cable was found packed away safely in a bag, but had gotten separated from the M-520 and the PSU. Probably it went missing over nine years ago.

I think I will hang it from the dining room ceiling light until it is connected into the system... don't want it to disappear!!!

Starliner

• Love
Reactions: RFR
That’s great!

Also, all the parts to make the cables have been I. Stock and available for years at Mouser. I’ve posted this here and there in the analog forum. Just go to Mouser, search “1620”, and filter by manufacturer “Hirose Electric” and the hoods with latching mechanisms, receiver plates, pins, sockets, housings, etc…all there…maybe 6 years now. But stock is limited and many of the parts are marked for lifecycle end so they won’t re-stock after current inventory is sold.

I remember you mentioning that some time ago. I seem to recall contacting Mouser about these parts. The reply was something like a minimum purchase of the components was required, which I believe totaled over $500. They would not sell one or two, but wanted to unload the entire inventory.
At that point, I figured it cheaper to buy an entire new system, or keep looking. Glad I waited.
Starliner

I remember you mentioning that some time ago. I seem to recall contacting Mouser about these parts. The reply was something like a minimum purchase of the components was required, which I believe totaled over $500. They would not sell one or two, but wanted to unload the entire inventory.
At that point, I figured it cheaper to buy an entire new system, or keep looking. Glad I waited.
Starliner
That…

Doesn’t sound like Mouser at all. I’ve searched the parts at Mouser a number of times over the last 6 years for myself and various people. At no point have any of the parts been any more than a minimum purchase of a quantity of 1 each. And that’s how it is today too. Not sure who you spoke to but I’ve order a number of the Sumicon 1600 parts in both 20-pin variety and other pin counts over the years…no hassles onesy-twosey. So…my assertion is signals got crossed somehow but the fact remains you can get singles and they’ve got good stock and reasonable prices.

sweetbeats,

I went back into my Tascam M-520 files ( I have a LOT) to see if I could reference my conversation with Mouser. So far, I have found no documentation regarding my previous conversation with them. I believe it was a phone call rather than an email regarding the connectors, and I may not have saved the reference, after being told about the purchasing / cost requirements... I probably figured it was pointless for me to continue to search at that time.
I think I might try and secure the individual components again from Mouser, as I believe it would be valuable to me to be able to have at least one additional PSU cable. Thanks!

Starliner

Yeah like I said just get on the Mouser site, search for “1620” and then filter by manufacturer “Hirose Electric” and you’ll have all the parts there.

Back