Tascam M320 recap

josephcastro

hey, Im here hoping I can pick some peoples brains or at least get a little help with my m320 board
I bought this board and all pumped up to try to make it the best 320 board out there I started pulling caps to do a full recap.
life and covid happened so now the boards been sitting for sometime
ive never full reacapped a hole board on my own.
Does the brand of caps I buy matter? maybe someone can point me in the direction I want to go for caps and does anyone have any suggetions
also should I consider doing anything else to level up this console?
thanks from portland Oregon Joseph

Hi Joseph,
That is certainly a large task you have taken on. I would start by selecting good known caps from Panasonic, Nichicon or Wurth. I have had one selection of TDK caps.
When you look at the schematics, you want to determine is there audio passing through the caps or are they used for filtering. The Audio- coupling caps can be selected to be the FG (Fine Gold ) types if you want to spend the money. If you use fresh 105*C caps like I buy most the time you will be OK too. In the selection chart there are caps that are said to last 1000 hours, 2000 and then 7000 and some 10,000 hours. You can select what you want as cost is usually the difference. In teh power supply section you might want to up the values a bit like 1000uFd to 1500uFd or 2200 to 3300uFd at same voltage. The reason I say this is that they made these from profit so they do not always follow the Engineers designs exactly but do what they can get away with. You are now upgrading so being caps are smaller than they used to be size wise an increase in value size will not be a problem. If yellow glue was used then remove that as you change the caps- it is conductive and I have known it to eat leads off transistor and zener diode in a Tascam 38 I repaired. It caused the counter to go out.

Not to pour cold water on the project but first I would take the mixer and hook it to some test equipment and see if there are actual issue with the caps inside.
Otherwise if there are then putting in today's fresh caps will get the mixer another 30 years service and maybe even more.

Back