Tascam DP02 inputs

rog999

Dear All

In the next two weeks I will have a room where I can set up all my recording equipment on a permanent basis.

What a relief that will be. No more getting all my equipment out and setting it all up from scartch every time I need it.

Now I have a permanent home for the equipment I want to set it up to be as easy to use as possible. You know as few cable pulls as possible.

So I ideally would like to set it up so that all my equipment can be input into my Tascam DP02 by using switches rather than constantly plugging and unplugging cables.

The Tascam DP02 has two mono inputs (both line and XLR)

The equipment which needs inputs is as follows
drum machine - two outputs stereo
line6 two outputs stereo
condenser mic - one XLR Mono output
One guitar with XLR mono output
One amp with one mono output

The question is this ( I am sure quite a basic on for most of you) what is the bets means of doing this. I am thinking this would be the job of a mixer .
Howwever I have a number of quesstions about this.

I need a mixer which can be connected to both inputs of the DP02 with both line and XLR connections and then be able to choose which mixer track goes to which DP02 input. Would this need a switching unit of some sort?

The idea is to be able to switch everything rather than constanlty pluggin and unplugging cables which for me really gets in the way of the creative process.

Looking forward to your replies

Roger

Yamaha mg82cx

Having looked around a little I am thinking of getting
a YAMAHA MG82CX mixing desk. It will not resolve all cable plugging but definately improves it. Plus I can mix many more inputs and it also has effects I can use on inputs up front instaed of at mix stage as per DP02.

What do you think of this solution?

R

alternative mixing desk

ANother idea is to get the Yamaha MW10C 10-Channel USB Mixer with Compression. I think I am right in saying that I can use this either as a front end to the DP02 or go directly to my laptop if I like. Would be more versatile

mixer to tascam dp02 connections without need for unplugging

Ok no one seems too interested in mu original post, maybe its in the wrong place or just not interesteing enough.

Let me try and make my question a little more concise.

I think I have opted to put a yamaha MG182cx infront of my tascam dp02.

This mixer has compression built in and gets very goopd reviews all round.

You can group channels into 3 buses, group1, group2 and ST OUT outputs.

This is fine for me as I can use 2 of these at a time as inputs to my two inputs on the Tascam DP02.

The question I am still trying to answer is the following.

I would like all three sets of these outputs permanently connected to a switch box or patch bay. So that would be 3 stereo pairs 1/4" jacks so 6 seperet input jacks in all. I would then like to be able to route any two of these 6 inputs to the two mono outputs without having to unplug anything, preferably with a switch. Anyone have any ideas on how this can be acheieved? I havnt used patch bays before so mayvb they can supply the solution?

Any ideas apreciated.

A mixer should end your need to constantly plug and unplug. With my DP01FX I used a 12 channel mixer and plugged everything into the mixer and the outputs of the mixer into the DP01 inputs using the XLRs. I had 2 mics, 2 stereo keyboards, stereo bass effects, stereo gtr efx, an aux stereo input, computer all plugged in ready to go.

Thanks Bassbrad, its good to know that I am thinking along the right lines.

In the end I got lucky and found an ex display Yamaha MG166CX mixer at a great price. Its has 6 buses so I canrecord up to 6 tracks at a time froim the moixer. I also bought a patch bay and a rack to mount them in. This is a really flexibloe set up and solves all the issues I had . The mixer and patch bay nd this gear can still be used effectively even if I upgrade my tascam to be able to record more tracks at once.

Now all I need is my room which will be free in a weeks time. I cannot wait to start recording without all the set up and cable pulling.

ALl the Best

Roger

Why not just use a patch bay? You still plug and unplug, but it is all done with short patch cables with everything right in your face.

The bigger mixer,...

The bigger mixer with the more MONO channels, the better. A hidden downside with many newer small format mixers is they quote or name the number of inputs in the model number, but when you look closely they are often stereo linked pairs,... which sometimes are useful but often times more limiting.

I counted "7" inputs that you quoted. The very minimum is you'd need an 8-channel mixer, preferrably with 8 mono channels that give you maximum flexibility. More channels would be better.

4-buss mixers are a better architecture in general than 2-buss (stereo) mixers, but to feed the DP-02 you only need 2-buss. However, with that being said, the 4-buss mixer could give you more flexibility with effects feeds, alternate routing, etc.

Something like an M-312 is large, heavy and old school, but it gives you a wide array of patching and monitoring capability, way beyond what you've scoped for the DP-02, in essence somewhat future proofing your investment. My own savvy solution was using a Tascam 246's mixer section as a front end to a DP-02cf, and it was a very satisfactory solution.

Future Proof: F/I, when you make the leap to a DP-24 it might make you happy if you earlier got an M-512 or M-520 (20ch/8-buss) to front-end it. Ok, that's my mind set, but I may getting ahead of myself or OT.

Back