Tascam DP-01FX/CD

Corndog

Anyone got one??? The Tascam forum wants $4 Paypal to join [???] so I thought I'd ask here.
Tips?
Tricks?
Advice?

Cheers...Corndog.:D

Tip:...

To import a CD track into the DP-01, it must be a 16/44.1 MONO Wav data file, (not stereo).

By your pics it looks like you have a pretty comprehensive setup (input mixer and monitors), so what do you want to know?

The Tascamforums dot com will let you read posts for free, but to post online and join in it will be $4. If you get the "signup" screen when you go there, clear your cookies from your browser and try again.:eek:;)

Well, to tell the truth I don't dislike anything other than the 2 simul. recording thing. And I find it a little dark. But that's probably just me. I don't have too many hours on it.

Well, to tell the truth I don't dislike anything other than the 2 simul. recording thing. And I find it a little dark. But that's probably just me. I don't have too many hours on it.

A common limitation of boxes in the price range of the DP01. The newer DP02 appears to have the same limitation. The Fostex MR8HDCD says it will allow 4 simultaneous, but is not a "true" 8-track as the upper 4 channels are stereo pairs 5/6 and 7/8, and I seem to recall some limitation on input EQing if that is some5thing you require. Likewise the Fostex MR16 supports 4 simultaneous recording and calls itself a 16 tracker, though 9-16 are configured as 4 steroe pairs. I think Tascam 2488 mkII at around $700 is the cheapest to get 8 simultaneous, but there have been some quality issues. My choice would be the Yamaha AW1600 at around a grand, if I had that kind of money to spend.

The other alternative is to record on a PC and spend your money on the various interfaces and enhancements necessary to do that.

I have a DP-01FX...not a -bad- unit, mind you. It's not a professional unit, but it gets the job done. I've made some okay recordings at home, except for the drum tracks. I'm forced to use drum machines. :|

If I'd waited 6 months longer, I could have had the on board CD burner. :(

The two inputs -is- limiting, but it's not really a bad sounding recorder. Stay away from the on-board effects unless you're just throwing together ideas ina hurry. They're not very useful otherwise.

Yamaha and Korg make a nicer 16 track. My jazz demo was recorded on the drummer's Korg recorder, and it came out very nice.

I've been offered a nice deal on Fostex MR-16HD. Burning to CD with an external CD burner is much easier than the trouble I go through with my Tascam. I'm going to check it out in the morning. The EQ is somewhat limited I hear, but I have that in a rack as well as external effects.

Spend some time with the Tascam. Do more recording. Get a better idea of what you really want to do. Save your money, and take your time with your next purchase. You'll be better off.

This site, as well as some others, have lots of informed people with experience under their belts. The people here and at Audio & Anarchy have been helpful when I needed it.

...just ignore the drama. :)

Off topic here I guess, but I got a call a few nights ago from an old friend -- a guy who only a year ago was a diehard analog guy. He started taking a look at digital a couple years ago when he did some contract work using Alesis HD24 hard disk recorder. He eventually ended up with a Korg D3200 that he loves. I respect this guys opinion so the D3200 is now at the top of my list for potential upgrade. But first I have to save up the $1300 plus shipping to have one.

Tom

Back