Tascam dark paint

GCalo

I wanted to repaint the cover of a Tascam piece I have that was scratched.

I contacted Tascam parts and asked what the paint was. Of course their answer was that the color has been discontinued! DAH what a surprise.

I then went to the local Kelly-Moore paint store, and they were great but informed that they could only provide a semi-gloss in water or oil base! Well the OEM paint did not look semi-gloss to me. So, what to do!

Salesman suggested I check the Rust-Oleum spray paints they had.

Well low and behold I found a can that is almost a dead -on match! It is very, very close, and it is flat.

It is called the Anodized Bronze P/N: 209565.

So I sanded the cover with a #400 paper, and sprayed it. It looks great and is nearly a dead match. I was stunned.

I probably should have used a Rust-Oleum primer, though, because some of the scratches I thought I had removed are now showing through.

I need some advice from painting experts, however, because there are some uneven color streaks. I sprayed multiple like coats. There are no runs but there are uneven color bands.

So, experts, how do I spray this or any metal panel so the application is uniform and makes the panel look like it came out of a spray gun!

I wanted to repaint the cover of a Tascam piece I have that was scratched.

I contacted Tascam parts and asked what the paint was. Of course their answer was that the color has been discontinued! DAH what a surprise.

I then went to the local Kelly-Moore paint store, and they were great but informed that they could only provide a semi-gloss in water or oil base! Well the OEM paint did not look semi-gloss to me. So, what to do!

Salesman suggested I check the Rust-Oleum spray paints they had.

Well low and behold I found a can that is almost a dead -on match! It is very, very close, and it is flat.

It is called the Anodized Bronze P/N: 209565.

So I sanded the cover with a #400 paper, and sprayed it. It looks great and is nearly a dead match. I was stunned.

I probably should have used a Rust-Oleum primer, though, because some of the scratches I thought I had removed are now showing through.

I need some advice from painting experts, however, because there are some uneven color streaks. I sprayed multiple like coats. There are no runs but there are uneven color bands.

So, experts, how do I spray this or any metal panel so the application is uniform and makes the panel look like it came out of a spray gun!

Thanks for the information. NOT an expert but can you use a paint sprayer? Drain the can into the sprayer and do it that way. I've done this before and didn't get blown up, so I would count that a success in itself.

I think part problem was that I sprayed it outside and the wind may have caused the spray to drift a bit. The layering was not uniform.

I will try again tomorrow a 2nd coat but inside the garage.

I went over the surface w/400 grit again, and then tomorrow I'll do a bit with 600.

I have a 150 lb compressor but need to buy a small paint gun from Eastwood, etc.

Good news is that as it dried it is nearly a dead-on match!

Thanks for the information. NOT an expert but can you use a paint sprayer? Drain the can into the sprayer and do it that way. I've done this before and didn't get blown up, so I would count that a success in itself.
Anodized Bronze is available in a brush on formula as well, which can be thinned and used in a sprayer.

I presume from Rust-Oleum?

Thin with what?

Can you tell I have no paint experience?

I take it that pressure is important for a great paint coat?

I presume from Rust-Oleum?

Thin with what?

Can you tell I have no paint experience?

I take it that pressure is important for a great paint coat?

I'm not a paint expert but when I googled the paint color you referenced, a whole bunch of videos popped up covering this topic so check that out to get a better grip on this.

Cheers! :)

Good suggestion. I'll check that.

Resprayed it this AM and it looks better.

I held the can closer with more repetitive sprays, and it looks much better

I had lightly sanded w/400 grit first and then sprayed.

I am believing that the pressure behind the sprayer is important.

So I am learning tricks w/spray can on metal but it looks much better.

Almost completely OEM.

Last edited:
spraying from a rattle can is hard to get uniform. I'm no expert either but have done it with some success.

Wind is bad.

Several coats is good.

I sweep back and forth about 6" away moving rapidly across.

Overlap each pass by 50% or so. This helps to even out the uneven coating.

I get at an angle where the light shines on the work surface so I can see how heavy the coat is as I go based on how shiny it looks.

Not too much but not too little either because you want it to be enough to kind of flow and settle on the surface and that helps it smooth out; some of those uneven bands.

Shake the can really good.

Some cans have a tip nozzle you can rotate 90-degrees to make the spray pattern parallel to the can or perpendicular and if you are holding the can like you normally would and sweeping back and forth side-to-side you want the spray pattern to be parallel with the can.

Pictures, Greg...we need pictures.

Back