Tascam BR 20

Instroverb

There is a Tascam BR 20 with low hours available locally for just under a grand. I am looking for a mixdown deck and had some trouble when I bought a Revox off of ebay for about the same price (it only played, would not record). So I am hesitant about spending that much again, especially because my 38 only cost me $450. So the question is, oh analog wise ones, is it worth it?

A vary fine machine

The BR-20 is a very fine machine (I use one for my mastering deck). I have seen them go for upwards of $800 recently which makes me feel good.

I paid $200 for mine off craig's list. It appeared to have less than 100 hours on it.

It might pay to take your time and look for the deal.

-Ethan

There is a Tascam BR 20 with low hours available locally for just under a grand.

I personally would pay more for a local deal than an equivalent needing to be shipped and buying sight unseen. Check the unit over good [hopefully you know what to look for] and, if truly in low use, mint condition, make the seller an offer, if possible, pointing out the average selling prices of the BR-20 are lower than he's asking for.

If this is the BR-20 that's currently on eBay [in Denver], with a BIN $995.00, then be very careful 'cause it may not look like a low use machine. The heads do show some wear but the oxide on the tape lifters is potentially occluding significant flat spots [I'm surprised this seller didn't clean those up].

---

Yes it is the one on ebay.

I just noticed that he has it both locally listed on Craig's list and on Ebay. On Craig's list he has it listed for $950. How can he have both? If I had just called him through Craig's list and made an offer, what happens to the auction on ebay. I don't have a lot experience with inspecting machines, so I was hoping for some advice. I also don't want to spend that much. But I was hoping to make an offer and hope he took it. Thanks for the responses guys!

He can list in on craigslist as well and cancel the auction [even though I hate when sellers do this].

Ask the seller to thoroughly clean the tape lifters [the black residue] and retake the photos, in closeup large format and send 'em on to you. Post 'em here so that we may have a look.

As far as it is now, the machine is too high priced and I doubt he's gonna sell it at that amount. Wait for the updated photos. If the seller won't be open to that, then pass on it, 'cause I'd like to see what's beneath that crud on the tape lifters. If they have significant flat spots [as I speculate] then it's certainly not worth close to a grand.

If he does what you ask [and if it looks good on the photos], go and see the machine in person, asking the seller to demonstrate the machine to you, in every mode, including recording / playing back steady tones through it. I'd offer him half of his asking price.

-----

Thanks, CJacek

This is a great forum. When I first started buy used analog gear, I didn't know this existed. But since then I won't make a purchase w/o checking here first!!

I received a response

and it is

"um

there are no tape lifters show in the original listing, certainly no heavy dark residue anywhere.

The way light catches curved surfaces, it may give this illusion..."

So I'm not sure if he understands the question. Anyway he mentions boosting the price of the item higher based on what he has seen from pro stores. So I think I'll pass.

OK, obviously he quickly found out what the tape lifters are 'cause he revised the listing, cleaned the 'lifters' and re-did the photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tascam-BR-20-Re...ryZ15000QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A couple of quick points:

(1) significant flat spot on the stationary tape guides
(2) significant flat spot on the tape lifters
(3) one of the rec / play heads is showing a flat spot but what's worse is that it is uneven ware [I'd say about a couple of mm of metal gone].

While it's hard to tell how much metal is still left in those heads, one thing is clear that 'low hours' is a misrepresentation. I'd say a more reasonable use machine but certainly not 'low hours'.

While this recorder looks to have life left, as is, just from a stand point of visible wear, I'd not pay anywhere near this amount and I'd look into having the unit re-calibrated, to compensate for the head ware, at the least. In the future you may want to turn the stationary guides around, including the tape lifters and also relap or replace the heads. [Realigning the heads may not be a good idea when the heads show uneven ware].

Just to underline, that this machine will still sound good and perform well, as is, just from looking over the ware, but it will be off spec and would need some TLC to bring it back. Is this being a bit 'anal' about it? Maybe but 'low hours' is a misrepresentation and the seller's asking price is ridiculous. Plus the seller doesn't seem to know his machine very well, from what he replied with.

---

Just to add that I'd still arrange to view the recorder, as per the above but, noting the above issues, I'd offer the seller maybe half of his asking price [as max]. Try it, maybe he'll go for it.

Have the seller pass a high frequency tone of 20khz - easily done using simple and free PC software - along with low tones, as per the manual's specs and see how the recorder records / plays back [obviously you want to be there in person].

There was another BR-20 which ended for a BIN of US $850.00 but that one had even more pronounced flat spots on the lifters. That's too much to pay.

----

OK, looking over the BR-20 manual, the listed flat freq response is 35hz - 22khz, +-2db, measured at 0db [at 15 ips] so I'd test it using 40hz - 20khz, using non shedding tape and if reasonably within these limits, a steady, flat tone, then I'd be less hesitant making the deal with the seller. If this machine, on the other hand, has a very hard time with playing back [within 2db] 20khz, 19khz, 18, 16 etc... then further proof of significant head ware and you needing to have it adjusted, which would show the seller he needs to dramatically reduce his price to accommodate.

---

that seller is out of his gourd! you could score an atr-102 for that price if you looked hard enough.

Yeah, he's a total moron, an arrogant prick!:mad:

:DHAHA!!:D That FOOL is actually following up on his 'scheme' to raise the price by two dollars, everyday that people watch his damn auction. I don't think he realizes what a jerk off he looks.:rolleyes:

---

Perhaps we should all send NICE questions to him. No really questions that cannot cause offense. Just hundreds of them....

Appears to have sold!

It appears to have sold for just over a grand.

Perhaps I'll put my BR up for sale for $1500 and be a bit offensive too....

E

Back