Tascam Boards Are Out Of Action

Herm, remove and reseat the power regulator PCA.

Can't remember if there's one of two of them, but the pwr reg card is on the right, just to the left of the main transformer and fuses. Good luck. ;)

I also had another problem, FWIW,...

and it was a motor transistor.

The scenario was, that it failed during runtime, lost tension and kaput. Then, occasionally, it would function intermittently, but inevitably, it would go kaput. If I loaded tape, capstan would spin normally. All VU lights were on. When I hit Play/FF/RW, kaput.

It turns out this problem was a single transistor that drove the reel motor, or didn't in this case.

Also, I'll reread, but if you have partial VU lights, you may consider that perhaps the VU meter lamps are burned out, individually, and not an overriding power issue, necessarily.

Anyway, FWIW, there'ya go.

I'll have to reread your problem discription to come up with anything else. It's plain circuitry, if you have the manual.

Good luck.

I Know What Happened

Derek was screwing around with static discharge experiments and brought down the grid on the East Coast last week.

I feel bad now because I was part of the tape to head static debate.

Besides, we were wining too many people over to analog and turning people on to ebay for old Tascam equipment. :)

Just think, everyone who buys a 38 or TSR-8 on ebay is not buying the latest digital wonder from Tascam. I’m just amazed they put up with us as long as they did. ;)

Tim

Last edited:
Yeah,... Everyone was flocking to Ebay to buy "OBSOLETE" analog and reel decks,...

so many that the lights just WENT OUT at TASCAM!
They couldn't pay the ELECTRIC BILL!;)

Yup

Seriously though, doesn't it seem a little strange for Tascam to just go down without warning for maintenance, unprofessional even? I’m mean this is Tascam not Joe’s Pro Equipment. Maybe I missed something. Was there a warning?

I haven’t been around that long maybe they do it all the time. Or it could have been the last virus that came through I suppose.

Didn't Larry R say he was taking some servers down for upgrade?

You don't suppose he was referring to the Tascambbs servers, do you? That's scary! An upgrade? I've seen people take computer systems, and 'upgrade' themselves right out of business!

Ha.;)

From what I remember, Larry was referring to his own site at the university that was going to do upgrades but, that was only scheduled for two days.

Plus, Larry is somewhere in the middle of the country and I would guess that TASCAM's bbs is out on the west coast where the head office is?

Cheers! :)

Yeah, I know, I was just kidding.

Anyway, Tascambbs is having a spaz attack, but the informational parts of Tascam.com website works okay. They just shut down the bbs.;)

I DID find it odd that just at the time Larry said his site was going down was the time Tascam went off line. Also- the blackout was determined to have been started in Ohio (right next door to Indiana).

It's your fault, Derek. Let's see if it ever comes back.

Anyway, I mentioned the LR issue on the previous page. People who responded to that said it was coincidental, but not likely the cause. [I wouldn't be so sure, though, guys!];)

Anyway, it's fontmeister's fault too, since he was bashing people over the head with the rules, right before the lights went out at Tascambbs. They probably woke up, like -'hey- maybe there's something going on on these boards that we should be paying attention to'! Then they probably hired some minimum wage worker to read and delete 80,000 posts, looking for violations of "the rules". Ha.

Thanx thefontmeister!

No, it's okay, it was probably me,... cursing at Derek Verner, that did it!

;)

That's true, ARP!

Right after I did my dumb little rules post, threads in the PS5 forum started to be edited by the administrator of that forum and then he started posting in the analog and vintage area to brag about an MSR24 and the last new in a box M3700 he scooped up for himself and was going to pitch all the digital crap he had been tracking with and go back to analog.

I think I was responsible for this purchase because of one of the songs I was pimping in the 788 and PS5 forum that he listened to and responded in the thread saying, " I forgot how good those old reel to reels could sound!"

So, yes! I may well could have been the catalyst that woke up the administration team there and they figured, hmmmmm? Maybe we should fix this puppy up!

Sorry guys!:p

M3700 he scooped up for himself and

:eek: Doggonit! Well, I guess my choice in mixers aint all that bad. Found a mint one in New York. But it is a "pick up" only so I'm racking my brain how to do this. I just got a contract to build a spa, so I can't leave. ARRRRRGGGGRRRRRRRRR!

Hey, anyone live close to New York?:D

fitZ

ALT-THEORY: I think all the "analog is best- go get it on Ebay" ideas...

that were constantly floating on those boards, by myself and many others, probably just embarrassed Tascam, and shined a light on how weak their current product line is. I don't think the powers that be would stand for a "Tascam-sucks" or "Tascam's lost-it" attitude on their own boards! They need to sell new product, and not to have a bunch of bbs hacks steal their spotlight, to promote how great analog is! Remember, Tascam is out of the analog game, and I don't think they want to be reminded how badly their current digital products stand up against their classic analog products.

[Q] If you needed a recorder that works right out of the box, is easy to learn & operate, and is impervious to glitches, and does not require the computer to operate, etc, would you rather have a 388 or 788? A 38/M30 or a US-428? A 246 or a P5? ['Nuff said].

Anyway, here on HRcom/Tascam, we can get on our soapbox about anything, pro- or anti-Tascam, and Tascam can't touch us, or do anything about it!

Also, I don't want to get into Tascambbs and personality wars, but a certain member who's also moderator would often scan posts and delete them, if they somehow contradicted his own posts, or if they showed his posts to be wrong, AND, sometimes if he wanted to steal your point and re-post it, making it look like his own. I'm not gonna bash any more, but some of my most legitimate, relevant and informative posts were deleted, in the name of 'conserving space' or whatever, and yet there seemed to be unimited bbs space for "geek's trivial pursuit"-type posts. No names, though.;)

Sadly, I don't think I have ever offered up a post at TASCAM that was so controversial or inspiring that it merited deletion but, if I had, I would be as pissed as you, ARP!

Though, I must confess, I enjoyed some LR's quizzes:cool:

Those :cool: ELUDO:cool: prizes were fun virtual trophies to put up on the virtual mantel.

Cheers! :)

Sorry Reel - I can't agree with you there. LR is the best that Tascambbs has to offer except for his insane political views.

This isn't the court of law, you're not Perry Mason, and there is no burden of proof!

You're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, you can heartily kiss my ass!

There's no rule against saying that here!;)

Besides, I didn't mention anyone by name! That's all based on assumption!

LR is the best that Tascambbs has to offer except for his insane political views.

What insane political views? I thought they were normal, and I agree with him on most of them. At least the ones I've read. The only thing I don't understand is the signiture statement. Interesting person, but not always correct.

fitZ:D

Back