Tascam AQ-65 acting up

man-bot

Ok! Just got my remotes in for my newly acquired MS-16 and when I tuned on the AQ-65 it wasn't very happy... See the attached pics of the display and none of the buttons work. If I turn it on and off sometimes the display shows nothing either... Not sure if this is an internal power issue or a chip needing to be reseated. I don't think I can plug it in backwards...

Thoughts welcome!

IMG_0543.JPG

Last edited:
There's an eprom chip in there which controls the logic of the unit. You might try re-seating it and also changing the two electrolytic caps in the power supply. I did that with mine when it acted up on me and was much better there-after.

Cheers! :)

Okay - well I cracked the sucker open and I found the transformer at the back had lost a bolt and had come loose, in turn knocking the mitsubishi chip (I assume this is the eprom that can be funky... and its the only socketed chip I could see) out of its socket and handily bending the pins!!

Carefully I repositioned the pins and got the chip reinstalled correctly... sadly the display still goes wild and the transport freaks out.

However... I found if I removed the Red multipin connector at the top the display works fine and and logic for storing all of the recall points etc works fine. But... none of the transport buttons work.

So clearly I have something funky in the logic handling the transport in there.

Now the big problem!!! If I had an AQ-65 manual I could trace this issue much easier and solve it... anybody have one out there?

Please let me know!

Yes, the Mitsubishi chip is the one I was referring to.

Not sure at all about the red connector and the deal with unplugging it.

But, even without the manual, changing out the PS filter caps would also be a good idea, as I mentioned previously.

Mine had the wacked out display issues prior to the cap change out, but I never had any transport button issues. Worst case, you've got the RC-65 to use.

I had a paper copy of the manaul back before I sold my MS-16 but never made a scan of it. Otherwise I would have helped you out there.

Best of luck hunting one down! Perhaps contact tascam's parts department in California. They may still have a back up copy they can scan and mail out to you and still be cheaper then typical ebay sellers.

Cheers! :)

Well - the search function is a beautiful thing Ghost! I saw some of your old posts and changed out the 1000 uf cap and I'm in business - all works perfect!

It would be nice to have the manual to figure a few things out but at the moment all transport functions work properly and all the recall settings are working. I am a happy camper. :guitar:

Thanks for all your help!

Mike

I guess I was lucky... There was a local (Toronto) MS-16 for sale but without a function remote - so useless. At the same time there was an MS-16 on eBay I was watching. The seller cancelled the auction and parted out the machine and was lucky enough to have them sell me just the remote package.

Just luck for me on this one... Thankfully I could fix it too! The do seem a bit rare out there.

Back