Is anyone controlling a Tascam deck with a Fostex 4030/4035?

seankerns

Over the last month or so, I picked up a Fostex E16 deck with a 4050 remote, a 4030 sync, and a 4035 controller. I also got the 8785 interface between the 4030 and my Tascam MS-16, as well as the ribbon cables to hook it all up.
I did that mostly to facilitate syncing the Fostex and Tascam, to transfer a set of tapes which were recorded on that setup, both striped with SMPTE.
In hooking the 4030 to the Tascam, I found that even without a tape on the E16, and therefore no timecode, pressing play on the 4035 controller starts play on the Tascam.
Since I've never yet found a remote for the Tascam, I thought it might be cool if I could use the 4035 as a remote for the MS-16.
But none of the other transport buttons work. I can play, but not FFWD, RWD, or stop.

I have the manuals, two of them, for the 4030 and 4035, but they don't get much into controlling other brands of machines. Their decks are plugin compatible. The only controls on the back of the 4030 are for damping, to fine tune locate points apparently, and dip switches, which from what I can find in the manual, are only meant to accommodate fine tuning interaction between newer and older Fostex machines.

Anyway, I figured maybe someone here has done something like this, so it was worth a shot. I don't want to stripe SMPTE to the tape on the Tascam. Most of them are other people's tapes, and I'm just playing them into Pro Tools to transfer. I'm not doing any recording on any of these machines.

Thanks!

All right. So, I don't think it's an incompatibility problem, because the 4035 behaves the same with the E16, which is to say, it will start the E16, but not stop it. I supposed it's also possible that the 3035 is broken, but it would be a huge coincidence that all transport buttons _except_ play are broken.
Also, there's a button called "Review". I need to look up what it's supposed to do. If I hit it, both the E16 master machine, and the MS-16 Slave 1 start playing, and there was no other way I could find to stop them, but to turn the 4030 off.
I'm trying to plod through the 4030/35 manual, but it's pretty dense. They need some example setup charts.

Just to illustrate how obtuse the Fostex manual is, on the Review button, it says that pushing the Review button will cause whichever machine is selected to rewind 5 seconds, then play, or if the button is held for longer than a momentary push, that machine will just go directly into play. No explanation of why that button exists, or why even hitting Stop on the machines won't stop them, when Review has been pushed. There's also a great deal of space - the majority of the manual, devoted to what each pin of the connector controls, even though there either is no way to affect those functions from the 4030/4035, or it's not explained.
I did find a guy on YouTube who was demoing some of the functions of the 4035, and was using it to control a Tascam MS-16 (!!!), but he never touched any of the transport keys. I'd love to find a video manual for it, the way there is for the 4050.

Back