Tascam 688 PLAY speed is fast while FF RR is slow

Hi everybody

I have a 688 that works great after I switched out the transport motor, but for some reason, it has switched the FF and RE speed with the PLAY speed. PLAY is as fast as FF and RR is supposed to be. Im not sure when the switch happened but Im now stuck and cannot use it until the speeds get fixed. Anyone know where to start the T shooting?

Did you replace the reel table drive tire? Or just the capstan belt? What about the pinch roller?

Last edited:
I changed the transfer motor (take up reel motor is what i also hear it called). Its the one in this pick. I thought maybe the yellow and orange wire that powers it was the problem but it still had the same issue. 0-02-05-87a494403dde5bd437266ffc708b48790f52c3820ffa936b9a48b36aca65a8ad_5c786944c319103a.jpg

What about that tire there on the roller in the picture? What about the pinch roller? What about the capstan belt?

The capstan belt is good. I fixed it a year ago and the capstan works great. The rubber tire roller does fine as its supposed to. The pinch roller never had a problem either.

Well, just saying, if the capstan belt needed replaced, all the rubber is due for replacement. You can’t tell by looking. And a worn pinch roller or maladjusted pinch roller pressure can cause major issues

After researching im pretty sure i have a capstan servo issue. Play is too fast and after putting in a new capstan motor didnt fix it. After looking around the tape unit, i dont see a servo board unless its integrated into one of the other PCBs.

Back