Tascam 644 Seeks Power Supply!!!!!!!!!!!

stonefree

I'm really up on the times and just got a Tascam 644 Midi Studio, but I failed to realize the difficulty involved in locating a power supply. If anyone has one or knows where I could possibly find one PLEASE email me at tlclaridge@yahoo.com

Power Supply Specs:
DC+-10V from the PS-M1 adapter unit; consumption 18W

From what I've seen, it's not the power module that's so exotic,...

but it's the connector!

As always, your best bet would be to call Tascam Parts, and inquire about a "replacement" PS-M1. (323) 727-8480. ;)

I've always been wary of 644/Ebay deals that didn't explicitly say the power supply was included. Sorry for your dilemma. Good luck! ;)

Aaaagh!

I don't know why I always misquote Tascam's number, since I call it often enough!

Tascam Parts' CORRECT NUMBER is (323)727-4840.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I don't know why I always misquote Tascam's number, since I call it often enough!

Tascam Parts' CORRECT NUMBER is (323)727-4840.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I wonder if it's still possible to get a power supply for the 644 from Tascam.

I'm not having much luck finding a manual either.

You might have to build your own power adapter, DIY style.

It's not the specs that are so exotic, but it's the plug. Maybe exotic is too strong a word. You might possibly find a similar plug at an electronics store, then splice it onto an off the shelf P/S module. It's not a sure thing, but it may be feasible. Or wait one out on dBay.:eek:;)

Havin a 644 without the power module is a tough issue! Buyer beware!:eek:;)

I wanted to know if you got the power supply. I also have this Cassette that hase the bonus scenes for the 688 and 644 but I am still trying to work out how to copy it. What does the plug look like? If the plug is the problem you can make one if you have the scematic and a power supply that supplys the proper power. You will need some molex conectors and some of that kids clay that dries real hard. The trick is to KNOW your pins if you know what I mean. It is a lot cheaper than ordering from Europe.

This...

is a split image of the rear panel of the 644.

On the bottom image, above the MIDI-Out connector, is a little squarish connector with 4 pins. That's the P/S input jack. The P/S (PS-M1) power plug would fit it, accordingly.

The top of the connector is nearly square, but with keyed a center detent.
The bottom of the connector has more rounded corners, that's not quite square.
The shape is intended to safeguard that the power input will only ever be plugged in one way, i.e., oriented correctly.
The power itself is not exotic, but is +/-10Vdc (on 2 pins) and Gnd (on 2 pins).
The pinouts and P/S current rating I could read from the manual or off the actual PS-M1 module, but neither is handy at this moment.

It occurred to me that you could hardwire a DIY PS module directly to the squarish PS input jack,... if it really came to that. There might be individual molex pins you could get OTC that would fit, then just solder your +/-10Vdc and Gnd to the pins, and secure it with something like sealing wax, epoxy or tape. Honestly, I'd rather see the proper connector sourced and do it that way, but y'know,... if yer desperate and out of options, there's always the solder gun and tape!:eek:;)

A main point to curious newbies and readers is that if you buy a 644 without it's dedicated power module, you have a real fine doorstop!

I'll check the 644 manual and PS-M1 module in a while on the details current rating, the specifics of the Euro ps module (whether it's usable for US or universal/autoranging), and the Save/Load Scene feature.

I also got a TASCAM MIDIStudio tutorial on cassette with my 644, but I've misplaced it temporarily, as yet TBD.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 644b1.jpg
    1-Tascam 644b1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Nice catch!

per the pinouts, it appears to be +10V (1A), -10V(1A), +7V(10mA) and GND! That's a lot of juice for a Porta!

There you go, DIYers!:eek:;)

Thanks, bro!

think i've got one here...

not sure if anybody is still looking for one of these power supplies, but i think i may have what you're looking for.

it says:
TASCAM
AC Adaptor
MODEL NO. PS-M1

Input: AC120V 60Hz 30W
Output: DC+10V 1000mA
DC-10V 1000mA
DC+7V 10mA

i don't have a digital camera available to post a photo right now, but the item i have looks identical to an item listed as "644 Adaptor Ac Psm1 Tascam" on the Charles Hyde & Son Ltd web-site (chsinteractive.co.uk).

It came to me by way of a former roommate who left it behind when he moved. I have no use for it, would prefer to sell it rather than just throw it into a landfill.

any interest? if i dont hear anything in the next week or so, i'll throw it up on eBay to see if anybody bites out there. Thanks.

Hello all,
i need one power supply for an tascam 644 that i bought without it.
im in europe so the input must be: AC 220V - 50Hz (i guess).
any help?
Thanks in advanced.
Renato

Back