Tascam 388 roller adjustment????

j.harv

@#$%
Hello.I might be picking up a 388 today.I asked the seller of the condition of the unit and he said everything works really well.The only thing he said needs attention,is that it needs a roller adjustment for the tape counter to read.Is this something I could do myself.I dont mind spending time carefully taking things apart and having a look.
Thanks.
Jason.

Ok. just got it home.Its has something to do with the tension of the roller.When you lightly push it down then the counter starts.Could this be fixed easily?
Im pretty F#$@ing happy I now own one of these things.I;ll probably post some pics and more questions of course.There is 1 major thing that needs looking at.
I'll post that later.
Now off to clean my baby!

The tach roller is not "adjustable". When you unscrew the cap make sure there is a small nylon washer under there. There should also be one under the roller when you slide that off. Clean things up.

Is it a problem with the roller not turning? Could be gummed up lube but pressing down on it shouldn't effect that. Best lube to use with oilite bushed rollers is turbine oil and just in small amounts and only after cleaning them up. The bronze bushing material is impregnated with lubricant. After years they can stand a recharge so to speak but first step is to clean up the bearing surfaces (bushing and shaft in this case) with a clean dry soft cloth. Don't use any solvent cleaner on the bronze. And the turbine oil is what I've been advised is the proper lubricant that will adsorb into the bronze. Google it. BUT FIRST just clean it up. You don't typically HAVE to get any lubricant.

Get an air duster can and make sure there aren't any dust bunnies in the works of the tach roller. There is an optical eye down there and it'll perform intermittently or not at all if there's debris in between it and the pattern on the disc on the bottom of the roller.

How's the condition of the rubber?

Thanks for the reply.Its the lifter on the left(if thats what you call it).Theres one on either side that travels through a slot.When I lightly push down or pull down on it it starts counting.Anyway to adjust this?
Thanks again.
Jason.

Attachments

• 388.jpg
    388.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 78
Did you mean "right lifter" when you said left?

What you are pointing to in the picture is the right tension arm. The bigger roller just to the left of that is the tach or counter roller. Does the counter roller spin free?

When you pull the right tension arm down (toward the front of the machine) what you are doing is increasing the tension on the tape. If the rubber is dry or glazed on the counter roller or the counter roller is not turning freely then you should address that first and then we can get into a simple and basic tension adjustment you can do on the 388.

Do you have a manual?

Ok.Its the right tension arm.Got my lefts and rights backwards.
When I bought the 388 the guy who sold it to me showed me that when he put a little tension on the right tension arm,the counter would start.So I guess it would be a tension adjustment.The only thing is,I dont have any tape for this thing yet,so I guess I cant do an adjustment without it right?
Thanks.

Again...

Stop...

HOW IS THERUBBER ON THE COUNTER ROLLER AND DOES IT TURN FREELY?

Sorry...not shouting, just trying to get your attention. You keep jumping ahead. No need to mess with the tensions I the counter roller doesn't even turn freely.

I have the Exact same issue! What was the resolution? My thing also seems to spin freely and it seems the rubber is ok?

Thanks i know this is a ten year old thread!

So ok I adjusted r212 and that adjusted the position of the right tension roller and cured the counter issue and the FF issue. only NOW FF is like a goddamn jet engine and is so fast that it's terrifying. Anyone know this new issue? I hardly hardly touched the r212, just enough to raise up the tension roller to correct position, and to see the counter working. thanks !

Back