Tascam 38 Tape Slip

anetzel

I really don't understand this, I was recording with NOS Ampex 499 tape yesterday and the take was playing back fine. Today I go to record and I can't playback for more than 5 seconds before the tape slips (see link).

After further testing the tape only appears to slip when playing my most recent recording, after forwarding a minute or so I can record without issue. Additionally another reel plays back fine.

How could I have damaged this section of the tape? Any thoughts?

Maybe not spooled on properly? After a bit of tape is spooled on, its holding.

A video showing the whole machine would help. I want to see what’s going on with the supply reel and tension arm but it’s out of view.

I'd check the pinch roller to see if it has a glaze on it and isn't gripping properly. Clean it with a good rubber rejuvenator. Do not use head cleaner.

Well am I seeing it correctly in the video the tape is jumping completely off the tape path?

Thank you all for the feedback!

I don't believe the this is an issue of the tape being spooled, when I took the additional videos below the take would playback fine for about a minute then the run off tape path. There doesn't seem to be a consistent reason for this occurrence, the issue will will randomly happen at different times but only durning this recording.

I'm not familiar with Rubber Rejuvenator, I will look into.

The first video should have a better view of the supply reel/tension arm

Last edited:

You don't need to say anything else. That one word is enough. All Ampex tapes will be sticky by now and need to be baked before being used. Don't even think about using it without baking and don't try to use it for new recordings.

Shedding is very disappointing to say the least.

I had two brand new reels of Ampex 456. Never opened, still sealed in plastic. I had high hopes since it was sealed.
Nope, it brought my machine to a slow crawl which involved a good half hour of cleaning.

I ended up just throwing both reels of tape away. All I was left with was some clean new boxes and some pristine metal reels.

Heartbreaking in a way, but that’s the reality.

Back