Tascam 38-playback on submix but not main mix.

Hey everyone, just wondering if anybody might have any insight on a problem I'm having.

I've got a tascam 38, that overall works pretty great. Except channel 4 only reproduces playback when I've got the sub mix going, and not the main mix. If I've got the main mix playing, I can actually hear track 4 if I partially press down any of the assign buttons, but if I push it down all the way or have it up it won't play.

I'm not too savvy at the technical side of this stuff, but thought I would at least try to troubleshoot the problem before I brought it into a tech. Thanks for any input you might have.

You have to assign a channel to an output to hear it. Do you have the owner's manual? It's all explained in there.

You have to assign a channel to an output to hear it. Do you have the owner's manual? It's all explained in there.
Yes I have the manual. Even when I assign the channel to an output there is no sound. If I only push the assign button in slightly, the sound will come through but as soon as I push it all the way in the signal cuts out. All the other seven channels are working good so I think I've got the hang of it, I think there's just some loose connections in channel 4.

Or the switch is kaput. That’s my guess if it passes signal when half engaged. Any signs of damage or impact on the switch cap or surrounding surface of the dress panel? Do try exercising it, and maybe some contact cleaner, but I have a hunch the switch needs replaced.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll take a look when I'm home tonight. I recorded on a 424 Portastudio for years but just getting used to this new setup. Definitely an upgrade though.

Hi,

I'm not too savvy at the technical side of this stuff either, but from what you're saying it sounds like track 4 is only playing back when you have the submix going and not the main mix. Have you tried checking to see if there is anything wrong with your cables? Also, have you tried changing the settings on your mixer to see if that makes a difference? If all else fails, it might be worth bringing it in for repair.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation

Hi,

I'm not too savvy at the technical side of this stuff either, but from what you're saying it sounds like track 4 is only playing back when you have the submix going and not the main mix. Have you tried checking to see if there is anything wrong with your cables? Also, have you tried changing the settings on your mixer to see if that makes a difference? If all else fails, it might be worth bringing it in for repair.

--
Jason Hook. I enjoy remixing old songs using Audacity together with UnMixIt for vocal removal or isolation
That's a good point. I have brand new snakes but I might as well double check to make sure there's nothing wrong with the cables. Thanks for the insight.

If every other channel works, just take the input from any other channel and connect it to the input of channel 4. If the problem stays the same it’s not your cabling. Furthermore, if you’re able to get signal to pass when the switch is, like, halfway down, I really, really doubt that’s a cabling problem. Like I said earlier, dollars to doughnuts I bet the switch is roached, or needs servicing (contact cleaner, and exercising, etc).

If every other channel works, just take the input from any other channel and connect it to the input of channel 4. If the problem stays the same it’s not your cabling. Furthermore, if you’re able to get signal to pass when the switch is, like, halfway down, I really, really doubt that’s a cabling problem. Like I said earlier, dollars to doughnuts I bet the switch is roached, or needs servicing (contact cleaner, and exercising, etc).
I think you're probably correct. I'll have some time this weekend to take a look.

Your switch is broken or needs cleaning. Cabling wouldn’t even be an issue.

The forensics key, is the fact that it works when you halfway press the switch. That means it is starting to pass signal. Then fully pressed it drops out. So it’s either a mechanical failure in the switch or some built up gunk that’s not allowing signal to pass.

Clean, repair, or replace.

Back