Tascam 38 check up?

Deaaaath

Hi all,
I don't really know very much about the inner-workings and schematics of these old tape machines (which I'm sure is to my detriment). But I'm wondering if there is some sort of rule of thumb in terms of bringing my Tascam 38 into the repair center near my home just to make sure everything is still functioning properly?? Or should I just approach it with a "wait until something goes wrong" mentality... keeping in mind, as always, the cost of it all. I'm at school right now so I haven't been doing much recording, and somehow things (in life in general) always seem to break while their just sitting around minding their own business! ;)

Quickly, I would say use it and see how it sounds. Make sure you have the heads cleaned and demagnetized. And for crying out loud make sure you have fresh tape. A lot of problems can occur and make you think it's the deck when it's junk tape.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :D

All it might need is a calibration which is supposed to be done by you, the owner of the deck and the owner's manual, if you have it, will step you through the process and the required tools.

Cheers! :)

Well I am of the opinion Do a few checks like input signal compared to tape playback and general stuff like clean heads good pinch roller. And if it all works and sounds good. Use it and dont let someone screw it up for you and take your money.
Before I took any recorder to a shop now days I would educate myself in the workings and the language of reel to reel recorders and ask a bunch of questions first.
Like ask him about biasing for the proper tape and see what comes back from him. That right there alone should tell you something

Back