Tascam 38 capstan motor runs slowly?

Sonarcade

presumably inspired by my raving about my own Tascam 38, my friend got himself one and we figured that the repair on his would be as easy as replacing the capstan belt. Were we wrong! I noticed that though the rewind and fast forward function well enough, when we try to play a reel, the transport doesn't work.

But before we get to playability, I noticed that the capstan doesn't spin continuously like mine does when the tension arm is engaged. Well, I suppose it DOES spin, but only with assistance from a finger. I opened up the capstan motor to find this eyesore (see images below). It was easier (note that I didn't say easy) to access the capstan motor with his deck since his 38 doesn't come with a "case" "shell" or whatever you call that sheet of metal that encloses the sides and rear of the deck.

Could these cracks be the culprit and would jimmy-rigging a replacement by buying washers and resoldering the cracked points lead us in the right direction? Thanks guys!

dsc03259rs.jpg

dsc03258y.jpg

dsc03257l.jpg

dsc03256e.jpg

so I took this part to a couple places and both said that the motor's toast and I'd be better off finding a replacement. Unfortunately, for me, this part's discontinued. Which brings me to my next question, I have another Teac tape machine(an A-4010SL) and was wondering if I can rob from it its capstan motor and move it into my friend's Tascam 38. While on the subject of the Tascam 38, Tascam/Teac seems to be fresh out of back panels for the 38-- not the part with the rca/phono ins and outs but the panel that hides the insides with the rubber feet. would anyone know the part # for this part or where it may be found? Thanks.

Toast

Yup, that motor is toast. Judging from the blobs that would normally be nice shiny solder joints it has over heated beyond reason. The "cracks" in the commutator are there for a reason. There are motor shops what could rebuild this so don't toss it till you have a replacement. Replacement.... Replacements show up on eBay once in a while. Craigs list too. Here in Portland is a non-working 38 for $200. A whole parts deck might be nice. Point being to look for more than just the motor.

many of the 32, 34, 38 decks share parts. I'm not sure of the motor (I tend to think so but...) others will know better.

Regards, Ethan

hi Ethan,

so I'm guessing that resoldering the solder points onto a new commutator wouldn't be the ticket to fixing this motor. I have a buddy in Portland and might consider shipping this part up there. would you know of any motor rebuilders that may be of help in my little venture? Thanks.

hi Ethan,
so I'm guessing that resoldering the solder points onto a new commutator wouldn't be the ticket to fixing this motor.
I've not seen the inside of one of those motors before, but I would be very surprised if the armature windings are supposed to be black.

The only place that I know in Portland that does motor rebuilds is PMX. The tend to work on car and marine motors but who knows.

You yourself might be able to rewind it is you got desperate. Just unwind and count the number of turns then but some magnet wire of the same gauge and give it a try. Heck you could even balance it if you wanted to.

The burnt wire (as was noted) has burned off some of the insulation and is now shorting to its'self. This is a thermal meltdown type problem.

Good luck and let us know if you try a DIY rebuild.

--Ethan

I just got a quote from an L.A. motor rebuilder for $150, when presenting the armature for the motor. It can be rewound and rebuilt, it seems, but at that price, I think I may have my friend opt for buying a new one from Teac.

I just got a quote from an L.A. motor rebuilder for $150, when presenting the armature for the motor. It can be rewound and rebuilt, it seems, but at that price, I think I may have my friend opt for buying a new one from Teac.

I doubt there are any more new motors available from TEAC or anywhere else.

I just seen a 38 on junkbay for parts. It was damaged in shipping and is going cheap. You might get lucky enough to pick it up for yourself.

Back