Tascam 16x08 recording issue

songsj

Recording with a tascam US 16x08 interface with Reaper. No trouble for several years. After not using it for some time when I recorded some vocals they playback scratchy, out of time and way out of tune. Tried the obvious stuff, recorded on several different tracks different songs new project no help. turned off all FX. Monitoring sounds good. Tried different inputs on interface, no go. I fear ts a Windows update conflict. Anyone have any ideas. To wipe and reinstall would be a huge deal. Waves licensing etc.

Checked everything I could think of Cannot figure out what would be effecting the sample rate. I did uninstall and reinstall latest drivers, Changed all cords, I do recall about a month ago when I was rehearsing out of nowhere the song I was doing played much slower than original and in a different key. I did check the settings that I could find that would effect that and did not see anything unusual. Bummed because a system that cannot record is a worthless system. I think I'm going to by pass the Interface and go directly into the computer sound card to see if the problem is actually the interface or is it deeper into the system. Good thing I just retired, I would NEVER have had enough time to do this when I was working. Now I suppose I don't have a microphone or an adapter that will get me into the mini jack on the computer sound card.

What software are you using? Reaper has a couple of places where you can change the playback rate inadvertently if you aren't careful. As for the scratchy sound, what buffer setting are you using? The new 16x08 driver can drop the buffer down lower than the old driver did, I think it can goes all the way to 4. I found that going that low was useless, I think mine is set at 64 right now.

I haven't put the latest Windows updates on my recording computer, but later today, I'll give that a try and see if I hear anything like what you are experiencing.

I had that happen a few times with my old Tascam AI for no discernible reason. I found that rebooting the system fixed it, so suspect it was a driver issue.

I just did the latest update, and while I had a bit of time, threw a mic up and hit record for a little bit of practicing. Everything was smooth and normal. Runnng 88K/24 bit with 128 buffer. No glitches or hiccups over a 4 minute recording. The computer is a Lenovo with an I5-4460 @3.2gHz with 12G ram running Reaper 5.99. Nothing fancy or super fast.

I'm running Reaper 6.35. Dell XPS 8910, 6th gen i7, 3.4 GHZ, 16GB ram. Tons of Waves plugins however they are all turned off right now. I'll check into the playback options however I would think if that was the issue I would be having it on more than just newly recorded tracks. This is driving me nuts, I am a musician not a studio tech so this crap drives me crazy. I will keep you posted.

Yes it is. I only tried recording one track, I was leaving for golf, so I only had time for a short recording, but it didn't show any issue. What buffer and sample rate settings do you have?

Make sure that a Windows update didn't reset your audio settings. I've had Windows change some things to their default choices rather than to use your settings.

I'm still troubleshooting. No luck so far however, I also have Sony Vegas 14.0 on the computer. I tried recording into Vegas last night and that seemed to work so it looks like something is set wrong in Reaper or one of these last 2 Reaper updates may be giving me headaches. So frustrating.

Worth checking that Windows is not swapping drivers about? I have been playing some of son's guitar parts with a KA6 and ASIO drivers in Sampitude. Perfectly fine, then I hopped over to a Youtube track and that also played out fine. Went back to Sam Pro x3 and it would not play. Driver switched to WDM. Put ASIO back, all tickerty.

Dave.

Songsj, it might be worth backing up a couple of releases with Reaper, just to see if it comes back. Still, it sounds to me like a buffer/sample rate issue. Is Reaper set up to override the interface settings? Do they agree? Those are easy to check and adjust to start with.

I have my Reaper set up to override the sample rate. That way if I want to change bit rate, I only have to deal with Reaper, not the Tascam driver itself. I set my buffer the same in both the interface software and Reaper to be the same.

Back