Tama Rockstar kit, yay or nay.

Actually, it's good to know a pro. haha

I'm getting hooked up with the parts to that mount for free.

Pics once it's re skined. Thing looks beat to shit right now.

Also traded for cymbals today. I have a 21" A custom Rezo ride, A custom 18" projection crash, and a set of 14" avedis quick beat hats.

Last edited:
Why would you? Seriously, I'm curious. I support anyone's opinion/decision to do whatever they want, but can you name one advantage of two kicks that can't be achieved with a double pedal or a rack mount system for the toms? I really can't. Sure, two kicks look totally rockstar, but I think most gigging and recording drummer's would agree that they're more trouble than they're worth. I think it's a good thing that modern drummers are shifting to less complicated kits and better, more creative playing.

The one, and only one, advantage of having two kicks that I can think of is that you can have two different sizes with different tuning/sound. Like Tommy Lee. Lol.

Tuning is one reason. the other is if you play really demanding stuff, a two pedal one drum approach sucks. I dont care what pedals you use there is a difference between the master and the slave in almost every aspect (physics). If you play four count rock, then one kick drum is more than adequate. But (to me) the hard demanding stuff is where it is at. Listen to double basses tuned differently, with a paradiddle being played on them at say 800 hits/minute. Nothing from a single drum will come close. just my 2 cents, Cheers!

Well here are the pics I promised, still need to get the kick tuned. But the tom heads came in today, Evans G1 on bottom and powerstroke 3 on the top. Went with a tuning of A#, F#, D.

22", 10", 12", 16"
file-2.jpg

Cymbals (I have no stands yet)

file-1.jpg

Nice dude. I think that's a good head combo for the toms. :)

Do you like those moongels there? I only ask because in my experience that's a lot of moongel pretty far from the rim. That's a lot of dampening.

Honestly that sounds good to me in the room, but I'm sure I'll change my mind once I get them under a mic. I tried doing both heads at the same freq, and they were way more resonant than I cared for. This tuning is still pretty resonant though as the pitches are still close to each other.

The snare heads are not new today, but still have quite a lot of life left in them. The bottom is a stock t evans 300 and the top is a evans power center reverse dot. I dig the way they sound though so I didn't change them.

Kick is a superkick 2, need to get a new front head though as I really don't want this bands logo on the front of my drumset. haha

Keep in mind that a tom's ring and resonance kind of fades out when it's sitting in a mix. What might seem too boomy in the room might be just right in a full mix, and dead drums really sound like ass live. Also, tuning the bottom head tighter than the top gives a really pleasing pitch bend sound that easily cuts through a mix. Try it if you're interested.

That's a really nice snare head combo. I ran those two for a good few years and had no sound complaints. I only switched away from the PC Rev Dot because they wear out really, really fast.

And that's a great kick head.

That's gona be a really nice kit. Well done. :)

Naw, actually with the way they are tuned it's not that bad since the power strokes are such a beefy head.

I still need some cymbal stands, can't get them yet. I just had my first kid in August.

Cymbal stands are on order. I'll be ordering an iron cobra HH stand used if I can't buy Giancarelli's pearl eliminator h2000.

It was not intentional, but it looks like if I can't get the pearl HH stand, this drum set will be made up entirely of tama hardware. lol

Scored a tama boom for $20 used, and tama tom/cymbal for $40 used.

Pictures of this thing complete (for now) tomorrow.

I have this high hat stand coming tomorrow (used)

preview.jpg

Wish I could record it, but no go tomorrow with the baby. Turns out the tama boom mentioned above was just a straight stand (to good to be good GC you douches).

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 27
Back