Tama Rockstar kit, yay or nay.

Guitargodgt

Combo birch basswood version. Also it's some sort of big dual kick deal and I can't remember the tom sizes. I have no intention of using the entire thing as I hate dual kick/more toms than needed setups.

Just wondering what the consensus was on these kits. I think it's a 7 piece (3 rack, 2 floor, 2 kick) setup.

Whatcha gonna do with it? They're not great, but they're not terrible. Naturally a good drummer will make it sound good. If I think about it....I think live with mics it would be pretty okay. Live with no mics it might not really cut through because the shells aren't really high quality. For recording, if you use the right heads for the application and tune it very well, I think it would be adequate to good.

I too hate double kick drums. Totally pointless and cheesy. I like double pedals, but there's no good reason to use two kicks. It's not 1984 anymore.

You would probably be better off finding an all birch shell....Basswood, poplar, these are all shell types I would avoid.

If i were 20 years younger i would go back to 2 kicks for sure....why not?!

If i were 20 years younger i would go back to 2 kicks for sure....why not?!

Why would you? Seriously, I'm curious. I support anyone's opinion/decision to do whatever they want, but can you name one advantage of two kicks that can't be achieved with a double pedal or a rack mount system for the toms? I really can't. Sure, two kicks look totally rockstar, but I think most gigging and recording drummer's would agree that they're more trouble than they're worth. I think it's a good thing that modern drummers are shifting to less complicated kits and better, more creative playing.

The one, and only one, advantage of having two kicks that I can think of is that you can have two different sizes with different tuning/sound. Like Tommy Lee. Lol.

Pure vanity! The reason I dont is precisley because of the reasons you metioned, that and because i dont wanna lug another bass drum around and also because when i do play out most of the places i play are already way too crammed as it is.

Pure vanity! The reason I dont is precisley because of the reasons you metioned, that and because i dont wanna lug another bass drum around and also because when i do play out most of the places i play are already way too crammed as it is.

Right. Most club/bar drum risers, if there even is one, don't have room for a double kick. I use two floor toms, and sometimes even that is a tight fit at some places. Drumming is fun, but being a gigging drummer can really suck balls sometimes.

I just need a gig kit. I would actually prefer to run a hybrid (snare and cymbals being acoustic, toms and kick being electric) setup but I'm to worried about PAs not being adequate. I'll probably still trigger the kick though as there are just to many gigs with PA systems that suck ass.

Even as large as it is, I was just going to gig a 4 piece. haha, I really hate the idea of lugging around more than the minimum. I have a set of iron cobras and don't want to run a dual kick setup, like I said I think they are lame. I'm just looking to do a 4 piece, hat crash, crash, ride setup on the cheap.

The shells are basswood/birch combination. I'm snagging it for 400, and I think I'm gonna sell off what I don't want as another kit.

It's also the only kit I can barter for with services at the moment, so my out of pocket is actually near nothing.

Last edited:
I played the older style Tama Rockstar "Pro" version (was my first kit - used), and actually loved the kit! Still haven't gotten a kick sound I like more than that, believe it or not. Mind you, these were discontinued used before they re-vamped the look/style/construction of the new Tama Rockstars. The newer (if you wanna call 'em new anymore) have shared lugs, where as mine had the squared off lugs, and hardware. Very heavy duty.

The one thing I hated though, was the "Power Tom" sizes. As in 9x10, 11x12, 12x13 and 16x16. It made it had to fit that 13" in the standard position above the kick, so I ended up (near the end of that kit being in my possession) putting the 13" off to my left side as sort of like a small floor tom, and had the 12 and 12 above the kit, with the 16 in the standard floor tom position.

Worked okay.

Bumping this because it's going to happen. I have a set of ziljians I'm trading for (no idea what I'm getting offered yet, they are cast though so my guess is A or Z custom knowing the player).

I need suggestions for a high hat stand around $100 or a little over, and some cheap ass cymbal stands to get me by, maybe $80 for a pair. I don't require booms.

Look on craigslist, or hit up your guitar center, just make sure you check out whatever HH stand you get, They are mechanical and usuually are tossed with regular stands thus bending the rod, and you wanna make sure it moves smoothly and quietly.

Might wanna stock up on some new felts and plastic sleeves for your cymbal stands too.

Actually, I have 2 old HH stands in my basement that are functional got anything ya wanna trade?

Pm me, I can send u a pic later today if your interested.

Yeah cymbal stands don't matter too much. I mean you don't wanna go totally cheesey but you don't need quadruple braced platinum DW shit either. If you get used stands invest in some new sleeves and felts. They will save your cymbals.

Hi-hat stands....just make sure they work, like dreib said. Smooth, quiet operation. No clinks or clunks. Also if you plan to use a double pedal, look for a two-leg HH stand or a 3 leg with a swivel base. It helps.

I used to own a nice ass ludwig 2 leg hat stand that was both durable as hell and smooth in operation. I sold it when my kit went up in flames.

I used to disconnect the rod at the center (this stand allowed you to do so) and store it inside the tube of the stand so there was 0 chance of it bending. Honestly I wish I had kept it, but this was 10 years ago and I was barely into recording at that point.

Yeah stands for cymbals, like I said I'm looking for something to get by on for now. Hold that shit up and (hopefully) not break to soon.

I found the stand, only this one has 3 legs. But this is essentially what I used to own in a 2 leg version:

Ludwig LM917HH Double-Braced Hi-Hat Cymbal Stand | Musician's Friend

Most quality hat stands that I've seen will break down so you can store the rod in the tube for safe transport. That shouldn't be a problem unless you get some rickety no-name beginner stand. I have 3 stands and they all do that.

I used one of these for years - heavy gig use. I gave it to a buddy and he's still using it. Pretty damn solid for an inexpensive stand.
PDP HH820 2-Leg Hi-Hat Stand | Musician's Friend

To late, got this thing home tonight. Needs a little TLC, but for the price I'm good with it.

I basically have 2 drumsets, for $400.

Just ordered new heads for 3 of the toms (top and bottom) fucking $75, ouch ouch ouch ouch. lol

Last edited:
AAANNNNNDDDD finding Tama parts is a kunt.

Parts I need:

Tama part MCM-RNT, Tama part MCM-RB60, Tama part MTB25-1, and since you can't for some reason get it with the last part Tama part TS816P

I'm thinking of just rigging something via the hardware store for those stupid rubber parts, but it kind of defeats the star cast suspension system on the drum if I do. I actually found the first part on ebay, but it's like $8 or something stupid.

The floor tom bracket could be something else if I know what fucking size these legs are. I know the space of the holes on the drums is 52mm, but I don't know the diameter of these legs. I have someone that probably knows coming over today though.

Such minor parts, I can't believe they are so difficult to find.

Back