T-Racks Mastering Software

Midlandmorgan

I'm sure this has been covered before...but I read a rave in an old Guitar Player about this software and was wondering if any of y'all had any experiences with this? Could it be that the hype is true?

Thanks...

I've got it. I've used it. I don't like it. It's a toy. Just my humble opinion. YMMV.

it seems the limiter works best if you crank the overload knob all the way up and then adjust limiter gain accordingly. when you do this, do not rely on the meter...use your ear because it will be limiting and nothing will even come up on the meter. you will also not get any pumping with the limiter this way.

back to topic...i use t-racks all the time. I love it but its really easy to over do it with t-racks.

I have never used T-Tracks but instead I bought Izotopes "ozone", so far I think its done a lot of good for my mixes. It takes a lil time to get used to and to learn to not overdo the mix with the effects provided. I also think its even cheaper than t-tracks... its well worth a look. At www.izotope.com good luck.

I have it...
I use it...
and I find it really useful for some applications.
At first I hated it, but gradually I got used to it...

Peace...

PC

got it, and i like it. for what i'm doing, i dont need anything bigger then just what it does. if you want to go pro - follow what slack and gidge and all them suggest - wavelab.

I tried T-Racks with ProTools on my Mac. The GUI looked cool but the sound left me unimpressed. Didn't find anything in it I couldn't do with my RTAS plug-ins. It also caused PT to freeze up a few times. Definately not worth 3 bills IMHO.

M.Brane said:
I tried T-Racks with ProTools on my Mac. The GUI looked cool but the sound left me unimpressed. Didn't find anything in it I couldn't do with my RTAS plug-ins. It also caused PT to freeze up a few times. Definately not worth 3 bills IMHO.

t-racks didn't cause your computer to freeze. Freezing is the nature of those Macs.

t-racks may well be a toy, but its a fun toy. If you're a home recordist, it may have enough juice in it to be a useful toy.

I've used it and I like what I can do to my mixes with it. Like any mastering attempts I've made, though, I usually just find out what is wrong with my mix with t-racks, then go back and fix it in Cubase. Generally, I end up using very minimal processing with t-racks by the time I'm done bouncing back and forth between it and my mix.

I do use it for its final gain stage wierd thickening thing. I just like it. Others likely don't.

I never claim to be a pro, though, and my ears are far from well trained. In the humble opinion of this home recordist, though, t-racks is indeed a fun toy. Just go easy with it- and don't assume that you are actually doing real mastering with it. ;)

Take care,
Chris

the argument i have against this which i have covered in the other thread is, why buy it, ifyou know that a few years down the line, you will be replacing it? it's not hard to learn how to use compressor plug ins within wavelab, and they will be more usfull in the future.

Yup, LWS. I probably should have skipped over to the other thread before I posted. :rolleyes:

I think the hard part about home recordists trying to evaluate this software is that we really have nothing to compare it to. How can I honestly evaluate mastering software (or even regular plug-ins) when I don't really know what good stuff sounds like?

Silly, eh?

Chris

i think the best bet is to go by the advice you see on the other thread. me and ed aswell as others have been trying to get you t-racks people to get wavelab. it's only when you get wavelab, can you actually learn about mastering and what goes into it. it's not just all about compression and eq. wavelab lets you look at the spectrum analysers, differnt meters, things which will aid you in learning what mastering is about. plus, wavelab is always a usefull thing to have around the studio. i usually use Pro tools for mastering, but wavelab is a Godsend when i need to do quick and most times, effective mastering.

get it and experience it.it's the only way to learn. t-racks will only get someone no where, fast.

For what t-racks cost, you can buy MANY plugin's that work as well and better too!!! For that money, you only get a crappy compressor, a crappy limiter, and an eq that is seldomly usefull when you really want to start digging into a mix and knock out something annoying.

t-racks is a toy, pure and simple. It is really only worth about 1/3 what they want for it (I am being gracious in it's value here....;)). I just cannot EVER see recommending it to anybody. I would truthfully rather have n-tracks for $50!!! You can do MORE in n-tracks for "mastering" than you can do in t-racks.

LWS makes some good points about the many limitations t-racks has in the "real" mastering process. It just doesn't do enough things to justify 3 bills. What it lacks is more of a case against buying it than what it does do.....and what it does do is nothing special. Certainly not $300 special!!!

Ed

fenix said:

t-racks didn't cause your computer to freeze. Freezing is the nature of those Macs.

Hmmm... let's see now. It wasn't freezing before I installed it. Then it did it a few times while it was installed. Then I removed it. Hasn't frozen since.

I guess it is the Mac.:rolleyes:

sonusman said:

t-racks is a toy, pure and simple.

Yeah Baby....Everything I own is a toy. Im glad audio engineering is not my job. It would really screw up playtime.
Things T-Racks doesn't do for me...
I can't move around the start/stops.
Fades are hoky and ineffective...they do not fade to black!
Its really difficult to get exact settings thru the interface.
Its built around the loud,un-dynamic method. Can you say hypercompression presets.
Its visual interface won't let me see wave forms...I have to reopen in SF to see what T-Racks did to the file. Its very interesting to see things.
It doesn't allow editing of clicks and pops.

There is tons more I could complain about Im sure, but I don't really have the time.
I didn't pay for T-racks myself, I was given a copy by a friend who has a video production company and purchased it for audio sweetening and told me to evaluate it. The more I experiment, the more disappointing it becomes...just like everything else I own :0)

Nuendo and Sequoia are up and coming in the Mastering SuiteStakes, Pro's are using these for mastering...

N-Tracks for $50 bucks....a new toy maybe...

Naw, Im buying a SP B1 and a new compressor :0)

Peace,
Dennis

Heh...I don't think I would spend MY money on n-tracks either! BUT, compared to T-Racks, that little "toy" of an application carries a whooping punch!!! At least you can see the waveform! LOL

SP B1?!?!?!?!?! How THERE is a toy....;)

Ed

Back