Syncing Two Audio Files

4tracker

Hey guys,

I am restoring old VHS of my band's live shows. I would like to take the VHS audio file (in .wav format) and blend it with the recording directly through the sound board. You might wonder why I'd want to do this since the soundboard recording is better. Basically my band likes grit and wants to blend the two. Also, the VHS mic picked up a lot of nice bass that's missing from the soundboard recording.

Is there any way to do this?

I have both files in .wav format right now. I just don't know how to line them up in Cubase. The VHS waveform is completely different (much worse) than the soundboard, so it's hard to find spikes to line up.

Thank you.

Last edited:
You just have to find a spot you recognize on both versions, line them up by eye and by ear until it's right and then hope it doesn't drift too much. When you get them close try panning them apart to help distinguish them more easily.

Once you have them close by ear, if you can find a big transient on both tracks you can zoom the waveforms in a long way and use that to help you.

BUT...

(and it's a big but) the tape speed on the VHF format was subject to large amounts of drift so it's pretty unlikely you'll maintain sync for long.

(and it's a big but) the tape speed on the VHF format was subject to large amounts of drift so it's pretty unlikely you'll maintain sync for long.

This is exactly what I am finding...holy cow. It's spot on for one song, and then all the sudden 10 seconds off on the next. So the only way is hard manual labor, huh? That is fine.

When they drift, I could just slice the vhs clip at that point and line it up again....rinse/repeat. That's the best way, correct?
It sounds so good with both sources blended that I think it's worth the effort.

---------- Update ----------

One more question: do you think it would be best to keep the vhs and its audio together, and just try to fit the soundboard clip into that, or to first sync the two audio tracks, then reinsert the final finished audio into the video?

Also, I only have cubase and virtualdub. Would either allow me to sync the audio with the video?

Keep the VHS audio and video together and edit them as a group. You will probably want decent video editing software for this rather than audio software, but some audio software will at least support having one video track. If that's the case then cut the soundboard recording to the video rather than the other way around.

If the two tracks are getting out of sync then there's going to be a slow phase effect that might not sound too nice.

I have done this sort of thing in the way past.
Given the vagaries of tape transport you'll get a fair bit of drift that will be a nightmare to manage.
I did it in the tape world but technology may make it less arduous.
Good luck.

Thanks guys. Can anyone tell me how to setup the "nudge" feature to do very small increments?

With that tool I think I'd be able to do this. Right now it moves too much when I nudge it.

Back