Syncing DAW, Tascam MSR-24, Midiizer - Can you point me in the right direction?

Dan Ö

Hi,

I've read a lot of threads hear about similar subjects so I don't want to waste your time(if you don't feel like it) answering same questions over and over again but I would like if possible to get some help to start me off.

This is what I've got:

Tascam MSR24s (without rc424 remote)
Tascam midiizer
Motu 24 i/o with Logic and possibly Digital Performer. Plus two different smpte to mtc programs.
A usb to midi cable.
( Studer A80 MkI )

This is what I would like to do:

- Use the midiizer as a remote for msr24. ( It works with just the serial acc.2 cable but the time is not in sync )

- Maybe be able to sync the msr24 with the DAW

( - Maybe in the future try some fun sync with my studer a80(which at the moment not is in "full shape"). Either with tascam or logic. )

Here are some questions:

Which configuration do you recommend? (master, slave..)

Do I have to have a midi port in my motu interface?

Which cables and ports shall I use?

Thanks in advance.:)

/Dan

Hi,

This is what I've got:

Tascam MSR24s (without rc424 remote)
Tascam midiizer
Motu 24 i/o with Logic and possibly Digital Performer. Plus two different smpte to mtc programs.
A usb to midi cable.
( Studer A80 MkI )

This is what I would like to do:

- Use the midiizer as a remote for msr24. ( It works with just the serial acc.2 cable but the time is not in sync )

- Maybe be able to sync the msr24 with the DAW

( - Maybe in the future try some fun sync with my studer a80(which at the moment not is in "full shape"). Either with tascam or logic. )

Here are some questions:

Which configuration do you recommend? (master, slave..)

Do I have to have a midi port in my motu interface?

Which cables and ports shall I use?

Thanks in advance.:)

/Dan

Have you got the Midiizer manual ?

If so you just need a pair of RCA phono cables to & from the sync channel (channel 24 on your machine) connected to the Midiizer & a pair of MIDI cables to connect your computer & software to the Midiizer. Use your USB MIDI interface. You'll need to strip the tape, recording a sync code which on playback gets sent to the Midiizer.

The Midiizer is the master & the computer & software / MSR24 are the slaves. Logic works fine as a Midi Time Code MTC / SMPTE slave or did when it was a Windows program years ago. Pro Tools works fine on Mac & Windows as well.

Thanks for answering! Yes, I got the manual although it can be a bit confusing sometimes.

I think I had some problems with the usb-midi cable last time but I'll give that another shot. I thought I only needed to send midi to the daw and not needed to connect a cable back to the midiizer but now I'll now.

Does the midiizer always have to be the master? Even if I only use it as remote for msr24? I read somewhere that analog tape machines work the best when they get to use "their own clock" (if that's the right expression.).

Dan Ö;3886216. Does the midiizer always have to be the master? Even if I only use it as remote for msr24? I read somewhere that analog tape machines work the best when they get to use "their own clock" (if that's the right expression.).[/QUOTE said:
If you are not syncing a DAW or another tape machine then you can just use the Midiizer as a remote control. However something has to be the slave when syncing DAW's & slave tape machines.

The DAW can be the master but I've never worked it that way, some of the experts on this forum have done it but with different sync units, I'm not sure if the Midiizer can slave in that way, probably but the manual is a bit mysterious on that subject!!!

Ok. Some work came up so I haven't had time to set things up yet. Maybe I should do that first before I start asking more questions. Thanks, so far!

Back