Sunn Dymos and BG Custom Speaker Cab Info...

Bill L

Massivdonian
So a buddy of mine just gave me an amp, Sunn Dymos head with a BG Custom Cabinet that has 2 x 12" Sunn Made In USA speakers. The amp head doesn't work (going to drop that off with a friend to see if he can fix it up) but the cab does work. I'm actually thinking of changing the speakers in the cab and using it with my Bassman head. But I can't find ANY info on the head. Not even one pic that looks like the one I have. The few things I have found don't seem to add up. I've seen some things saying they were only made in 1 year (1969) but they only show it as a combo, not a head and cab. Here's some pics.

I apologize for the size of the pics. I can't scale them down for some reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill L

Attachments

• 20141111_102850.jpg
    20141111_102850.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • 20141111_105847.jpg
    20141111_105847.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 72
  • 20141111_102936.jpg
    20141111_102936.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 20141111_102928.jpg
    20141111_102928.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 68
I found this but it's one year model later. The combo, per the catalog, shows 40 watt output; I'd assume that it's the same for the head - but that's just an assumption.

Have you tried googling the speakers to see if they have a rating that works with the bassman?

Last edited:
That is a very odd arrangement. I've seen a few Dymos combos, but never a head. And why would a custom builder use Sunn speakers? They're not great or anything.

Well, I changed out 1 speaker and put in a Jensen clone that is supposed to be a vintage Fender knockoff from the mid 60's (which I bought 4 of over 20 years ago). After I drop my kid off at school today I'm going to hook up the cab and stick a 57 on each side and see what it sounds like. I'll probably take out the other Sunn and put another Jensen clone in there. I think this will be my first closed back cab (which is the only reason I'm going through this in the first place).

Still very vexing that there does not appear to be any info on a head Dymos. And as dervish mention, why put Sunn speakers in a cab? They were most certainly changed from whatever the original speakers were. I know it was used as an accordion amp, so it may be that he liked that sound? Who knows.

Thanks again guys!

Bill L

I'm wondering if someone pulled the amp out of a combo, cut the front grill cloth to fit and put the assembly in another head's cabinet. I notice the Sunn logo is missing from where it would be on a combo. Unlikely that Sunn would have produced an amplifier without their logo prominently on the front...well, looking at a few pictures of the amp from web, I note that the 69 model didn't have the logo patch on the grill...

It doesn't look like the cab has been modified. It actually looks like he put the Dymos head from a combo into another head cab. The speaker cabinet, however, still remains a mystery. I'm assuming the combo was heavy and he figured 2 pieces split the weight load? Probably easier to get into a car too. I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Except what it sounds like when I'm done fooling with it. And the price was right too!

Bill L

Back