Sunday Morning - acoustic cover

andrushkiwt

Got a new acoustic, Larrivee, and wanted to do a track where it can shine... so here's a Maroon 5 cover of Sunday Morning. It's not going off the radio edit, but rather their live acoustic version from 2003. There are 3 acoustics layered, L, R and C mic'd with the sm7b from about 12" away pointed at the 12th fret. I tried a different setup for the bass - it's a Jazz bass with brand new flatwounds! Never played flatwounds before and I love the darker tone, perfect fit, I think, for this tune and version. I also used my GNX3000 for the bass on the Hartke cabinet model. Here's the channel setup, if interested:

Guitar bus - SSLEQ > CLA1176 medA/R (2db GR)> EQ > CLA2A (2db GR)
Bass - SSLEQ > CLA1176 medA/fastR (7db GR)> EQ > DC1A2 compressor (3db GR)
Vocal Bus - SSLEQ > CLA1176 fast A/R (6db GR)> EQ > CLA2A (8db GR)
Superior Drummer (toms, rims) - API2500 (5db GR) > EQ
Shaker (red pepper!) - EQ, DC1A2 compressor
out bus - SSLEQ, TDR Kotelnikov compressor (2-2.5db GR), EQ, limiter (2-3db GR)
reverb bus is free Tal-Dub plugin about 55% size, 55% wet, slight delay, everything sent there to taste

Please feel free to share any mix opinions, thanks!

New guitar sounds great! And I dig the bass, too. Flats just feel so comfortable to play on as well! (This goes for guitar, too.)

Everything sounds great, though I do agree about the verb. Performance is stellar as usual on your stuff. Nicely done all around.

New guitar sounds great! And I dig the bass, too. Flats just feel so comfortable to play on as well! (This goes for guitar, too.)

Everything sounds great, though I do agree about the verb. Performance is stellar as usual on your stuff. Nicely done all around.
thank you for the listen and thoughts. I'm definitely hearing too much reverb overall now, maybe a touch lower on the mix control. I wanted a live performance unplugged vibe, but I think it's a tad much.

Back