• Event TR6

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Event ALP5

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Yamaha HS50M

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
bojax34 said:
I am going to buy my first set of nearfield studio monitors. I have narrowed my list to following, which all fit within my budget of $400 for the pair. Please give me your feedback and/or experiences with the following:

1. Alesis MkII
2. Behringer TRUTH B2030A
3. Event TR6
4. Event ALP5
5. Yamaha HS50M

Thanks!

Really, none of those. I would pick up a b-stock mediadesk from blue sky.
Their website is abluesky.com

I have the Alesis MKII actives, but I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago when they were still about $600 a pair. They work great for me, and in my environment. However, I think there are better nearfields on the market now, than there were back then.

My vote goes to the Wharfedale 8.2as. I bought them from the many positive comments from this forum. I used to mix with $30 Logetich speakers, but all I can say is that the Wharfe's are flat and translate extremely well in my car stereo and club speakers.

I have the KRK rokit 6's

I got them (on sale for $350, no doubt) and they rule. I mean, when I demoed a bunch of units there was this really nice $1300 pair that sounded REALLY good, but couldn't afford them. THe RP-6s were the best in the sub $500 range though by far, even more than the RP-8s. I don't have too much monitor experience though.

go with the YAMMIES! ... for the money i think they are the best... they dont have that bottom end BUT the calrity makes up for it!

go with the YAMMIES! ... for the money i think they are the best... they dont have that bottom end BUT the calrity makes up for it!

+1 here.

I have the larger HS80 but I went through them all before opening the wallet. Yamaha kills the KRK IMO. Though the larger KRK models (V8) are closer in sound quality to the Yamis

I love how people are still offering suggestions on a poll posted nearly 2 years ago.

I researched most of the above options myself, and the closest ones I came to picking up were the Yamaha HS50M's.

Then I found out about the TASCAM VL-X5's. Hands down winner, and I bought a pair.

I am going to buy my first set of nearfield studio monitors. I have narrowed my list to following, which all fit within my budget of $400 for the pair.

I have a set of Behringer Truth 2031A's, they're an 8" version of the 6" 2030A's. A pair of those can be had for under $400 too, and since they're bigger they can go a little lower on the freq. response.

MF had the 2030's for $279 and the 2031's for $339 - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=behringer+truth

I love how people are still offering suggestions on a poll posted nearly 2 years ago.

I researched most of the above options myself, and the closest ones I came to picking up were the Yamaha HS50M's.

Then I found out about the TASCAM VL-X5's. Hands down winner, and I bought a pair.

eventually people will stop due to inflation

nord

I'm glad to see the Yamaha's were recommended by a few people...in other words, they're not recommended against...

I bought a set not knowing what the hell to buy last year and so far they're good I guess. Only thing is you need a sub IMHO. Some may disagree with this, but I've found I mix in way too much bass unless I run a sub. It's hard to mix something knowing it will have more bass through the average listening device, but you don't know exactly how much until you export and burn a cd.

Also the high mids are not harsh enough for me :D--by that I mean I get a great sounding mix on them only to play it in my car and have my ears stabbed with audio icepicks. My wife's car stereo is a little smoother, but I'kd hate for anyone to listen to my stuff and have it sound like daggers in their ears.

I'm still learning though so take my opnion with a grain of salt. I have learned a LOT from the process of burning CD's and taking them in the car with me, but I know I have a ways to go.

I have KRK rp8s, I tried a few in that price range...they all sounded pretty much the same to me..I think its far more important to know what your listening to/for with the monitors you settle with, you'll only get personal opinions from people who dont have your ears or room....

saying that the KRKs are fine but after settling in with them I notice they sound better at louder volumes in my space, I adjusted the HF levels and they are better at lower levels...see personal opinion ;)

I have KRK rp8s, I tried a few in that price range...they all sounded pretty much the same to me..I think its far more important to know what your listening to/for with the monitors you settle with, you'll only get personal opinions from people who dont have your ears or room....

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
YuP....:)

Back