Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Event TR6

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Event ALP5

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Yamaha HS50M

Votes: 15 27.3%

• Total voters
I use Edirol MA-10As. But I plan to upgrade soon when my wife isn't looking. I read several websites reviews (somwhere in between 30 -40 user reviews)and the KRK Rockit monitors seem to lead the <$300 pack. I do not speak personal experience with the KRKs, just what I've read. I plan to A/B these with others at Guitar Center.

Things to consider:

KRK RP8's (I got GC to sell me my pair for $400)
M-Audio BX8a's $399 (bayviewaudio.com or somthing of that nature)
M-Audio BX8's $299 (refurb at MF)
Wharfedale 8.2 $339
As mentioned above KRK RP6's or even RP5's

Do some research here, that's what helped me choose my monitors. I don't think you'll read too many bad things about any of the above listed (a few people bashed the wharfedales but most liked em).

monitors are like underwear... everyone has different needs and tastes. If you can test a set of each play some commercial songs through them and buy the ones that sound most balanced to you......

RDMSstudio said:
monitors are like underwear... everyone has different needs and tastes. If you can test a set of each play some commercial songs through them and buy the ones that sound most balanced to you......

I gotta call you on this....most of us change our underwear much more often than we change monitors!

:eek:

RDMSstudio said:
monitors are like underwear..... If you can test a set of each play some commercial songs through them and buy the ones that sound most balanced to you......

I can never get them to let me test or play music through underware in the store. So far most have ended up being pretty balanced though. :D

I just bought a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 active monitors on Friday.....and they sound great! I was comparing them to the M-Audio BX8's ($499, but you can get a refurb pair at Musician's Friend for $300) and I think they sound better. Both have a good bottom end, but the M-audio's were a little harsher in some mid-range frequencies.

The Wharf's were only $349....

I am currently using a pair of garage sale JBL's , 2way w/ 6" woofs and very sweet tweets, supplemented w/ homebrew sub. Total investement...about
$75....works for me.

chazba

i used the alesis monitors at a studi in town and found them pretty ok in that the tracking i did sounded good back at my pad. not a fan of alesis...but the hd24 and these are pretty great.

in some respects they are kinda cooler than the dynaudios i use (6a's...) the alesis have a more ns10 type of midrange which is helpful.

that said - monitors - to each his or her own. :eek:

Mike

jfrog said:
I just bought a pair of Wharfedale 8.2 active monitors on Friday.....and they sound great! I was comparing them to the M-Audio BX8's ($499, but you can get a refurb pair at Musician's Friend for $300) and I think they sound better. Both have a good bottom end, but the M-audio's were a little harsher in some mid-range frequencies.

The Wharf's were only $349....

I got the Wharfedales in Dec 2005...They are my first monitors...at first I thought they sounded "bassy" and muddy in my little room until I engaged the bass cut switch...now I'm in a bigger room and have the bass filter set back to flat (instead of cut)...I have to say that I have grown to like the sound of them very much and have a lot more confidence in my mixes (compared the mishmash of speakers/amps I have used in the past)

mawtangent said:
I got the Wharfedales in Dec 2005...They are my first monitors...at first I thought they sounded "bassy" and muddy in my little room until I engaged the bass cut switch...now I'm in a bigger room and have the bass filter set back to flat (instead of cut)...I have to say that I have grown to like the sound of them very much and have a lot more confidence in my mixes (compared the mishmash of speakers/amps I have used in the past)

As far as listening to music, the bass response sounds great. I havent' done any mixing yet, though. I may have to use the bass cut switch when I go to mix.

i use the original BX8's (not the A's) and i love them...keep in mind that these are the ONLY monitors i have owned..but they come at a good price..and sound great to me..just my 2 cents

actually, i won't vote for either of my pair, wharf 8.2a's and art slm-1's. :D just buy yourself a decent amp, build some decent book shelf speakers, and be done with it. if you don't like what you hear, you'll be equiped to make any needed changes.

Robert D said:
I can never get them to let me test or play music through underware in the store. So far most have ended up being pretty balanced though. :D

i feel most balanced in a g string

Back