Stuff my cab or not?

The whole deal with "my amp sounds better cranked" has to do with power tube saturation. You will almost never hear that statement in regards to SS amps.

Most tube purists agree that power tube distortion is the gold-standard of guitar distortion. Of course, there are many variables: type of tubes, type of amp, type of guitar, type of pickups, the room, the player, etc.

Generally when people talk about sweet sounding tube amp distortion, they are referring the effects of power tube saturation (whether they know it or not). To get your power tubes really cooking, you have to crank up the power to the tubes (which means more volume).

If you have a tube amp, turn the master volume down to the lowest point where you can still hear sound coming out of the amp. Then play your favorite distortion-laiden riff.

Next, crank you master volume up to at least half way (noon) or as high as your ears/neighbors will tolerate. Repeat your favorite distortion-laiden riff.

The difference should be obvious. I'm willing to bet my life savings that you will prefer the sound of the amp when it's cranked versus barely audible. The is due to the effect of power tube saturation. The distortion just sounds sweeter.

In the recording arena, this is why many prefer to record distorted guitar with a low-wattage tube amp (like little 5-watters). Because you can get that sweet tube distortion without making everyone's ears bleed.

In the live-sound arena, I think most guitarists are idiots. They buy these 100-watt half- or full-stacks and then crank them up to 11 in a tiny rock club. Most guitarists in your average bar band would be better served by a smaller amp. I think it's become a penis-envy thing: my amp is "bigger" than yours. :rolleyes:

As for your low-end problems... my guess is that the room is the big culprit. But you might try a different cabinet and/or guitar and see if that makes a difference.

i am a long time veteran of high-end-hifi ... as a basic rule of thumb:

For any surface you put your cab next to, bass will increase by 30% ...

OK, we will asume that they took the floor (= a surface) into consideration when tuning the cab :D

so put your cab against the wall and you will have 130% of bass ... put it into a corner (3 surfaces) you have 169% of bass ...

so just get it more into the center of the room and you should be fine - if it still doesnt work for you, try to get the cab on some kind of tripod or stand.

cheers
alfred

This guy hasn't even elaborated where there is too much bass.

Is it in the room while playing?
Or is it on the recorded track?

Plus, if you close mic with a 57 and have a huge amp cranked, the room with too much bass isn't always the problem....because where the mic is being pointed has a lot more initial 'cause and effect' than the room would. If you can't see the speaker through the grill, maybe you are mic'ing it toward the edge of the speaker and need to get closer to the center of the clone?

Back