Stuff my cab or not?

MesaHead

what advantages or disadvantages are there from stuffing your cab with foam/pillows whatever........

i play guitar thru a 2x12 and would like to control bass response,

thanks

Do you have an open backed cab? If so, throw a pillow in and see if you like it.

Personally, I would port a closed cab before I would stuff it.

Outlaws said:
Umm.....use the BASS eq knob on the amp.

you're so smart! thank you!

did it take you all day to think that one up?

i'll be sure to tell others on the board that we have a genius among us.

MesaHead said:
you're so smart! thank you!

did it take you all day to think that one up?

i'll be sure to tell others on the board that we have a genius among us.

Well what else do you want to hear? A pillow? Are you fucking kidding me? WhiteTrashMesaHead you have your Head backwards. Control the bass response?

BUY A SMALLER FUCKING AMP!

You are running 2 12" speakers with what is probably a 50 watt (at minimum) head and you wonder why there is a lot of bass?

Thats not "bass", thats called VOLUME. aka POWER.

Try disconnecting one speaker. I am sure your Head has plenty of options on the back to match the impedience change.

Outlaws, I have read some of your other posts as well as this one and you are sucha dick! Get your head out of your own ass and calm down!

In all fairness though, i have to agree with outlaw. By no means am I a veteran, but throughout the years I worked at a music studio, not 1 guitar player ever said they had to do anything like that. I don't know what you would be achieving? If there is too much bass, lower the bass eq. It really IS that simple. It truly isn't worth pondering innovations. Your not going to solve anything that hasn't been taken care of with the bass/low eq knob. It's all about being openminded with your e.q.'s and breaking your traditional habbits. If you did blind e.q. test's you'd be amazed which tone you'll end up liking the best.

Maybe the problem lies in the room?
Have you tried repositioning the amp?
How far from the floor is the cab?
Maybe (if at all possible) move the amp to a larger room.

Do save your pillows...

i don't even want to reply to these posts, but for the people who seriously use this forum for information, i will.

yes i have meddled with my EQ knobs. and even with the bass on 0, there is still too much low end.

of the 4 fender and mesa cabs that i own, they all have small amounts of foam on the inside of them.

so i think my question is more than legit.

as for outlaw, if he doesn't like being insulted, maybe he should refrain from posting his helpful and intuitive replies.

Try cellardweller's suggestions. Get your cab up off the floor. Keep it away from walls and corners.

The problem with stuff in your cabs, it won't affect bass much. Most stuff like pillows and plain old foam, bass just goes right through it.

Sometimes it is not less bass, but more mids that you need.

You want a serious answer, then here it its.

But first...

1. How many watts is your head?

2. Can you "control the bass response" at low volumes, or is the problem just when it is loud?

3. Is the problem that things in the room are shaking and a few things are starting to want to fall off shelves? Does the snare drum keep playing itself?

If number 3 is a yes, then its probably because you have too big of an amp and the bass isn't the problem, its the physical dB level that is causing the problem.

HA assuming is always betetr then asking first right Outlaw.

Yep have to agree you are an asshole, you might as well skip the whole "I can act normal now" routine.
:)

I ahve filled up a 2x12"closed cab with insulation used in hifi speakers. Don;t do much for bass, although i 'think' It sounds a little more compressed...

Somehow though it records great!. I loved it on my mesa studio but on the marshall it sounds a bit lifeless. never hurts to try. hope this helps

MesaHead said:
yes i have meddled with my EQ knobs. and even with the bass on 0, there is still too much low end.
If your EQ still doesnt do it, buy a seperate eq pedal, and cut the bass on both.
Also as was previously suggested try putting the cab on an amp stand to get it off the floor and keep it away from the wall. The pillows won't do much at all compaired to these suggestions.
Outlaws and cellardweller were right.

If it is up against the wall, you are creating the effect of a closed cab to some extent. And if it is in the corner of a wall, it will cause the amp to be bassier.

Im starting to feel some love now.

lots of good ideas floating out there. I'm a little confused on a few things.

Outlaws said the pure volume or db's could be the problem since a guitar amp pushes more bottom the louder you crank it? I think. I completely agree with that if that is what he meant.

the only thing i wonder is...alot has been written about tube amps sounding better when they are turned up to eleven, ive read countless times artist stating something like, "my amp sounds its best when cranked all the way to 10 or 11" then states something like they have to blanket it on stage to control the stage volume. Then you see on one of your favorite bands dvd's of them recording in a studio with the amp in another room cranked up, and them sitting in the control room playing while listening through the playback monitors.

so which is it/ better to crank or better to record at lower volumes? Im confused. If a amp pushes more/too much bottom end when cranked(supposedely making it sound worse?), how can the the amp sound better when cranked, especially while recording??

Back