Studio Security.

I sleep in the next room and I never leave the house...

Well, not very often anyway. I also have a 60lb dog that probably deters people.

As far as a free standing building - you can get these little battery operated motion sensor alarms with a pin code on them for like $25 at Home Depot. They are loud enough that it would get some attention, or at least annoy the hell out of the B&E perp. They are loud. HD has a lot of DIY security stuff that isn't very expensive. As long as you have some decent locks and the windows secured (so someone can't just jump inside within a matter of seconds) you should be pretty safe. I guess the only time you have to worry about is when you are away from home...

But seriously...

A monitored alarm is what I have, although I live in an apartment and it's all inside. The most important feature of a monitored alarm is the stickers for the doors and windows - only way to find out is to break the door down. I've even considered cutting the monitoring off, because it's not cheap, and just keeping the stickers, but figure, in the scheme of things, it's best not to!

Plus, I'm quite careful about who is allowed to know there's mega $ worth of gear on the inside... so if I ever have to allow tradesmen etc in, I make sure nothing's visible. People talk to people who talk to people... and having a studio with all this whizzbang gear that people won't have seen before is something to talk about, and so the person who starts the conversation can't control where it goes and who ends up finding out what about you and your gear....

Homeowners' insurance.

I've actually had 2 fairly massive P.A.'s stolen. Once out of a trailer, and the other time, they took the whole fucking trailer! Most homeowners' policies will provide coverage for "off premises" property provided that it's not "business" property. I actually got into a fight with Allstate about whether or not the band's P.A. was business property. They said it obviously was, because we were depreciating it on our tax returns and the band was turning a nice profit. I said it wasn't because music is a hobby. I won both times, but what a pain in the ass.

It's kinda' cool to get an entirely new P.A. every 5 years. But God it sucks buying all the cords again.

Anyway, my point is that if this happens to you, even if the property isn't physically located at your house, don't forget to look at your homeowners' insurance policy.

You know I've written about this here before on a few separate occasions that up here in N.H. I don't lock the studio, warehouse/shop - every single truck and van are fully loaded with at least a moderate to large pa set up and have the keys in the ignitions.
To tell you the truth I haven't the foggiest idea of the whereabouts to the keys to my house!

I guess it all boils down to Location, Location, Location.

Last time that I did write about this Lt. Bob said that when he read it, he had to hurry home and check his stuff for he had become that paranoid upon reading this fact. :D

Besides Myself, my wife and all 7 of our children are experts with firearms ..... shotgun being the weapon of choice! ;)

7 children!!!! you been busy.

I take photos of my equipment on a regular basis just in case - for the homeowners insurance... If you have a lot, you might even want to ask them to add a little more to your policy - I don't think it cost very much to add an additional 50k worth of coverage for contents. You could send them a list of your equipment and tell them you want to make sure its covered.. of course if it all gets stolen the next week it might look suspicious :laughings:

Got maybe 1 and 1/2 million tied up in equipment. I don't think homeowners would think that it's a hobby!

What I always thought would be a great idea is to tie the door handle into the electric box with a hidden on/off switch. :eek: now that would be enough to make any crack head go straight:laughings:!

Got maybe 1 and 1/2 million tied up in equipment. I don't think homeowners would think that it's a hobby!

Yeah, and your bigger problem is that for "off premises" personal property, the amount insured is capped at 10% of your home's value. So unless you have a $15 million dollar home, you're boned under a homeowner's policy. Of course, if it's in your house, different rules apply and it doesn't matter if it's business property...it should be covered, but I'm assuming you don't have that much gear in your house.

I've been in a position before where I actually tried to insure about $50,000 worth of gear, and I couldn't get insurance. I possibly could have for $3,000 per month, but that was out of the question.

Crack : a plumbers trademark, and then a link that says "rimshot"... uhr...

In Holland we call it "construction cleavage" :) It appears to have become fashionable though, I've seen to many behemoths bent over in the supermarket making it hard to supress the urge to insert a coin.

To react on the actual thread:

How about those metal roll-down doors, find a used one, shouldn't be a problem. You can add some of those metal strips that make it impossible to use a crowbar on it.

What I always thought would be a great idea is to tie the door handle into the electric box with a hidden on/off switch. :eek: now that would be enough to make any crack head go straight:laughings:!

Maybe you could put some Lojacks in some of your equipment? I would at least have motion sensitive cameras with locked up or off-site recording and alerts. I'm sure you have some good security... right? :)

have a lock on the door, and a motion detector. If they're not deterred by a light coming on/alarm going off and a lock then they're going to get what they came from and I suggest you stay out of their way.
My point is, most people will be put off by an audible alarm and a lock. If they're not then bear in mind your life is always worth more than what they're about to steal.

Well, I would consider your life valuable. In a non gay way!!!!!! :)

That's because you don't know me very well. My wife doesn't even like music, but she'd take our piano over me if it was a choice...and my kids would actually use me as a human shield to protect their guitars.

You know how most people are a lot more decent in person than on the internet? Yeah, I'm the exact opposite.

And I'll let you in on another little secret about me...My wife is a total whore. Should you ever find yourself attending "Jamfest" in Kentucky, you'll probably find out for yourself...just like every other guy who has shown up has discovered.

Here's the running joke. What's the difference between jam and jelly? You can't jelly your penis up chris' wife.

Back