Studio Security.

phlopip

i have built an outbuilding in which i have my studio gear in my garden. I'd like to know what would be effective means of securing the building. what do you guys have?

There is always someone home at my place so security is not really an issue unless the IRS decides to take my stuff. I have a buddy who uses some system that texts him when a motion detector goes off. He is pretty paranoid, though I suppose most locks are not going to keep the unsavory out if they really want your stuff. Especially those pesky crackheads.

This is always a reality.
But when it comes right down to it if your stuff is going to come up missing 9Xs out of 10 it will be someone you know that will steal your gear. For it won't be a random act.

Just be careful of who you let know what is in your back yard.

Geese work very good at letting you know someone is around and nipping them in the arse!

What do they use in Turkish prisons? Is it the mongoose?

Iuse a few Brinks security signs that I stole from my neighbor by the front and only door...

My studio is in my home (rather than an out building) but I have a monitored security system which includes alarms on doors and windows (including the door to my studio). They trigger and incredibly loud local alarm and also relay to a monitoring center who them call the police. Naturally I also have signs outside to inform people the house has a security system.

It ain't cheap - but then, neither is my gear (or the security of my family).

As someone else indicated - sometimes, having the sign (such as a Brinks sign) is enough to scare off the less savvy crooks (including the crackheads) - but a sign without things such as security keypads, etc will not fool a serious criminal.

I agree that when studio gear is stolen - it is highly likely if was probably a past client of the studio.

when it comes right down to it if your stuff is going to come up missing 9Xs out of 10 it will be someone you know that will steal your gear. For it won't be a random act.

About a year ago someone broke into a friend of mine's house and stole computers, mixers, amps, interfaces and tons of other goodies. He was borrowing a mic of mine at that time along with some other things that weren't stolen.

Last week (after that friend gave me his bass cab because they stole his amp head but I now have a new amp) another friend of mine (completely unrelated to the friend who's house was broken into) pointed out that the fact that my things weren't stolen and that during that time I was building my gear collection probably made me look suspicious.
I never even considered that, but now I feel plenty awkward just thinking that maybe that crossed his mind :o

This is always a reality.
But when it comes right down to it if your stuff is going to come up missing 9Xs out of 10 it will be someone you know that will steal your gear. For it won't be a random act.

Just be careful of who you let know what is in your back yard.

That is surely true. Four years ago, my rehearsal space was completely emptied by a fellow musician in the Denver scene to the established amount of $11 grand. Because of the guys carelessness, we found some items in a pawn shop. This led to his accomplice who rolled on him and took us to the storage unit where the stolen gear was. Also still there were the masters of a demo I was recording. Friggen dumb luck that time.

His sentence was pretty light, though his restitution to me is to pay back the value of the gear taken even though I had most of it returned. I get a check for $86 every month for the next ten years!

Crime does pay. The victim-Me!

I still want to beat his ass tho....Damn crackhead..:spank:

That is surely true. Four years ago, my rehearsal space was completely emptied by a fellow musician in the Denver scene to the established amount of $11 grand. Because of the guys carelessness, we found some items in a pawn shop. This led to his accomplice who rolled on him and took us to the storage unit where the stolen gear was. Also still there were the masters of a demo I was recording. Friggen dumb luck that time.

His sentence was pretty light, though his restitution to me is to pay back the value of the gear taken even though I had most of it returned. I get a check for $86 every month for the next ten years!

Crime does pay. The victim-Me!

I still want to beat his ass tho....Damn crackhead..:spank:

That is a sad story with I guess a happy ending for ya Jim.
Along with the check is there a return address so as you can visit in the middle of the night after each check delivery to give the *astard his monthly blanket party?

Sadly no. Comes from the state. He at least has enough functioning brain left to lay low. There are four others he ripped off who are far more violent than I. He will get his someday.

He is on probation till he pays me off! So he must be around. Lurking. Waiting to pounce on gear for some crack. Dick.

Back