Studio Quality

It takes some people a very short time to get it right others it will take a life time.
Even top engineers look back at earlier works and say what was I thinking back then .....you learn something new every day!
Just keep reading up here and ask more to the point questions ....for this one is to broad.

AND practice ~ practice ~ practice.

:cool:

Like I need to know the steps to make clean/clear vocals. Mixing/Mastering. To remove clipping and make it sound studio quality.

Like I need to know the steps to make clean/clear vocals. Mixing/Mastering. To remove clipping and make it sound studio quality.

lol.

1. Turn down the preamp if it's clipping going in.
2. Put the mic where it sounds the best.
3. Lower the level in the software if it's clipping there.
4. Research the hoards of info spread out about these forums.
5. Spend time tinkering with your software.

There are no clear-cut steps. If you're a newbie, it takes more than just getting on a forum and finding a simple answer to get "studio quality". Sorry to say. I have faith in you, just keep working on it and never stop learning. :)

I don't want exact steps on TO get studio quality vocals. I want exact steps on HOW to get studio quality vocals. But thanks anyways :)

I don't want exact steps on TO get studio quality vocals. I want exact steps on HOW to get studio quality vocals. But thanks anyways :)

So, you don't want to know how "TO" get them, but "HOW TO" get them... OHHH... okay. I gotcha. I must have misunderstood you..
:laughings:

Don't be a jerk.

If you want professional sound, hire a professional or become good at what you're doing. There aren't "magical settings" to use - You use the settings you need with the tools you have using the information available (your listening skills).

Develop listening skills.

Learn your tools.

Do what your ears tell you.

Here's a sidenote: Look around at professional engineers' gear lists and find out how many of them are using a Samson USB mic in (just a guess) an untreated space. Then ask why.

Don't be a jerk.

I just want settings. dont be a lil bitch.

You learn by listening and making changes yourself. No one can or will give you exact "settings" to make your recording sound great.

Research "compression" and "EQ" (equalization) within these forums and/or with Google.

Good luck! :eek:

He reminds me of a T shirt that was popular down these parts not long ago that said "I'm not a racist - I just hate everyone !"
I wonder if those were honestly serious posts. If they were, I despair.....:D

He reminds me of a T shirt that was popular down these parts not long ago that said "I'm not a racist - I just hate everyone !"
I wonder if those were honestly serious posts. If they were, I despair.....:D

Yeah, I dunno. He posted it in two other forums as well -- Cool Edit Pro and Cakewalk. schno0b.

I just want settings. dont be a lil bitch.

5db boost at 20hz, wide Q
20db boost at 10khz, narrow Q
6db cut at 11khz, narrow Q
30db boost at 19khz, narrow Q
roll off all the highs above 13khz
Gain - 7
Volume -4.2dbVU
Reverb - room size 90ftx2ft, preverb at mid (about 4.9467) post gain at max.
Compressor - Fast attack (about 7), low threshhold (24.639), post gain at max.
Limiter - Max
Stepfilter - quarter notes hi freq, rest scooped, post gain at min
Widener - 27 feet, post gain =((27feet*average RMS)/(base pan*peak RMS)
Chorus - minimalist...rate 1, resonance 5, post gain -67

This should basically give you the studio vocal sound you're looking for. In fact, this is the goto 'magic' setting for any track. Make sure to do this to all tracks in your mix, and then the master bus, as well as any group or FX tracks you're using, otherwise it will severely bork your vocals. It will also help to add that extra bit of polish if you duplicate each track and reverse the phase on the copy. If it doesn't sound right, it's probably because you miscalculated the post gain on the widener. You may have to adjust your calculation depending on your listening volume. To help you with this, check out some info on nyquist theory.

Once you've done all of this, mix it down, put the finished tune back into your DAW as one audio event, and apply a normalizer set a 4. Don't set it at anything else. All normalizers should be set to 4.

Hope this helps.

5db boost at 20hz, wide Q
20db boost at 10khz, narrow Q
6db cut at 11khz, narrow Q
30db boost at 19khz, narrow Q
roll off all the highs above 13khz
Gain - 7
Volume -4.2dbVU
Reverb - room size 90ftx2ft, preverb at mid (about 4.9467) post gain at max.
Compressor - Fast attack (about 7), low threshhold (24.639), post gain at max.
Limiter - Max
Stepfilter - quarter notes hi freq, rest scooped, post gain at min
Widener - 27 feet, post gain =((27feet*average RMS)/(base pan*peak RMS)
Chorus - minimalist...rate 1, resonance 5, post gain -67

Legion, your settings are wonderful. I sound soooooo pro ! You're my hero :).

Will it work on bouzouki ?

and then there's the ultimate studio quality solution.....burn your track on a CD and microwave it full blast for 10 mins......!

Mods, please, please, move this to the cave for more entertainment value!:D:drunk:

Back