Studio Projects C1 Mic Modification - with samples

famous beagle

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pass this along in case it's of any interest/use to anyone. I had a Studio Projects C1 mic that had been sitting on the shelf for a while, and I decided to look into any possible mods for it. I found there were several actually, and I ended up going with one from microphone-parts.com.

Studio Projects C1 Circuit Upgrade Kit – Microphone-Parts.com

This mod cost $69, and the shipping was free, so I figured it was worth a try. The mod is supposed to make the C1 sound very similar to a U87ai. Now, I don't own a U87, and I don't think I've ever sang in one. (I sang into a Neumann while recording my band's album at a studio, but I don't know which model it was --- not that it would matter much anyway, as every other part in the signal chain was most likely different, besides the fact that it was over two years ago.) So, I'm taking those comments with a grain of salt. They do have samples on the site comparing the modded C1 against a U87, and to me they do sound very similar. However, it's just a spoken passage, and, IMO, that can only tell you so much.

So anyway, I figured I would record some files so I (and now y'all) can hear the difference between the stock and modded mic. I only had one C1, so I couldn't record the same take with two microphones. So I did my absolute best to document the positions of everything. Anyway.

So far I'm quite pleased with the results. I won't bother doing a blind test or anything, because I think it's pretty obvious that the stock mic is a little harsher on the highs and upper mids, and the mod sounds much smoother comparatively (to me).

But hey, enough of my yackin'. Whadda ya say? Let's boogie! (if you don't know that quote, then shame on you). :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n3c017s2iganj7e/AAD5VzBw_w7CiEnhGWOJSAwna?dl=0

edit: I should add that these files are all completely dry, raw, and unprocessed in any way.

Back