studio on stilts???

chris-from-ky

Hi,
I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Pigeon Forge, TN last week and I was inspired by the design on all those cabins in the mountains. My question is how much support would you think a 16 X 32 wood framed room would need in terms of the number of posts and what not to keep the joists from creeking over time. I was thinking of 16' floor joists spaced 2' apart with three 4"x4" posts per joist. Then I realized, I'd have to dig like 40 or 50 post holes!!!!! So, is this overkill or what? Is a studio on stiltz more practical than paying for a concrete foundation?

Help me brainstorm. :)

how many fences do you see blown over due to rotting posts in the ground?

That would be enough to put me off. Couple that with the fact that a raised floor will leak sound in both directions......

chris-from-ky said:
Hi,
I had the opportunity to spend a few days in Pigeon Forge, TN last week and I was inspired by the design on all those cabins in the mountains. My question is how much support would you think a 16 X 32 wood framed room would need in terms of the number of posts and what not to keep the joists from creeking over time. I was thinking of 16' floor joists spaced 2' apart with three 4"x4" posts per joist. Then I realized, I'd have to dig like 40 or 50 post holes!!!!! So, is this overkill or what? Is a studio on stiltz more practical than paying for a concrete foundation?

Help me brainstorm. :)

No way you'd need that many posts. All the houses here on built in pilings, my house is 36' x 36', with 8" square wood pilings every 6', that's 36 total.

However, you can't dig the post holes unless you are setting the posts in concrete--pilings are driven. And, no, elevating your studio serves no practical purpose. I doubt if pilings are cheaper than concrete, in fact I imagine the wood is fairly expensive (you won't be able to use 4" posts).

A slab foundation is pretty cheap.

Think drumhead vs. a launch pad. :) Besides, how much isolation do you need. A membrane floor will resonates at a HIGHER frequency than a slab, and if isolation is important, would offer much less in the way of mass which translates into structural transmission. Especially with drums. Another reason is if you wanted a seperate control room , you can isolate each slab from the other, thereby improving transmission loss between rooms.

Back