Studio is built,what about the recorder?

dirtybob

Ok I've built the room. 12" walls lined w/sheetblok, drywall hung on "Z" channel,floating floor and a small fortune in auralex, 4'x8' double paned window (I know it was'nt necessary,but it just looks cool!!). Now its time for a recording platform, and I'm hoping you guys that have been doing this a while can help me out. ProTools LE was my original choice, but the system and a new computer to run it will run about 4k!! If that is what it takes,then so be it, but I'd like to explore all my options first. I not even sure that I need ProTools-maybe I'm just caught up in all the hype. I know a lot of you are making great recordings with other systems.
What about high-end standalones? I really like the AKAI dps24 mkII. On paper,its a pretty impressive machine-I know its discontinued,but I've located a couple of "factory reconditioned" machines-I've also looked at the Yamaha AW2400 and the Rolands. Sorry to ramble on & on,so let me bottom line it-
I want a stable, reliable recording platform. I don't do well at all with error messages. I want a control surface (Mackie MCU et al). The sheer number of software programs and plug-ins is mind boggling (Cubase-logic-fruity loops?) And I hoping you all can make some recommendations. I'm lucky in a way, because I'm starting from scratch-I just want to set it up right the first time.

I use Cubase for tracking, and Samplitude for mastering. Cubase does not allow you to burn CDs and is limited for mastering, you have to use another program they offer called Wavelab for mastering. Cubase seems to demand less of my computers resources and seems to be most stable on a windows xp platform. Protools LE is very limited, obviously a low budget offering from Digidesign. Cakewalk Sonar is also a good choice. It does it all at a lower cost, and no Ilok or Key to hassle with and use one of your usb ports that could be used for a spare drive, midi, or something else. Sonar is the most cost effective way to go, but it seems to need more processing power than cubase, maybe I just dont have it set up right.

I own Cubase 4, Samplitude 8, Sonar 7, and Protools LE. Cubase is my favorite for tracking and midi work. It also works well with VST plugins including Universal Audio stuff. Samplitude seems to be the most unfriendly to ASIO drivers and VST plugins, but has excellent mastering capability. I track in cubase, bounce to stereo wav. file and import that to samplitude, master it, and burn redbook quality CDs.

All of these do well, protools LE is the most limited (32 tracks and 48khz max sampling rate), its really a matter of what works best and feels best to you. Visit their sites and download samples to try and see what works best for you.

I suggest a PC with dual core processor, pentium or AMD, avoid Celerons, and Cubase or Sonar. You should go with 4 gig of memory and two hard drives, one for operating the software and one to handle audio files. You will also need a good soundcard, not soundblaster, but a pro quality record/playback device. I suggest firewire devices if possible. The computer and software mentioned above should be acheivable at well under $4K unless you go with Apple which does good work, but at a high price. PCs are cheap, and do just fine.

If you want the best standalone try to find a used Radar 24. They sound great and can be had for less then $5k. Then you can import those tracks into any DAW for mixing. I use Reaper. It's cheap and works better then any other DAW I've tried.

It is obvious that you are taking this seriously by the trouble you went to to build what appears to be a sonically effective room. Do a lot of research before you buy and get good equipment, one piece at a time if necessary. Don't make the mistake I did years ago and buy inexpensive junk and expect top results from it. You don't have to spend thousands on each component, but the under $500 stuff will end up collecting dust in most cases when funds become available for better stuff.

I personally would avoid stand alone gear unless you really come across a good deal and have a back up plan when it fails. You don't want to sit and wait for a month while your studio in a box is off for repairs. I have two pentium pcs, one with Cubase 4, and the other with Cubase LE. If the main machine dies, I can start the other one up and at least continue tracking untill I find the problem. Just a matter of moving a couple of connectors. I back up all my projects on two separate drives, on internal and one external. It is unlikely that both would fail at the same time.

The other problem with stand alones it that there is less versatility, 8 or more identical preamps and eq...not to mention upgrade limitations. I would go for a variety of preamps to add variety to your signal path. Just my 2c worth.

It is obvious that you are taking this seriously by the trouble you went to to build what appears to be a sonically effective room. Do a lot of research before you buy and get good equipment, one piece at a time if necessary. Don't make the mistake I did years ago and buy inexpensive junk and expect top results from it. You don't have to spend thousands on each component, but the under $500 stuff will end up collecting dust in most cases when funds become available for better stuff.

I personally would avoid stand alone gear unless you really come across a good deal and have a back up plan when it fails. You don't want to sit and wait for a month while your studio in a box is off for repairs. I have two pentium pcs, one with Cubase 4, and the other with Cubase LE. If the main machine dies, I can start the other one up and at least continue tracking untill I find the problem. Just a matter of moving a couple of connectors. I back up all my projects on two separate drives, on internal and one external. It is unlikely that both would fail at the same time.

The other problem with stand alones it that there is less versatility, 8 or more identical preamps and eq...not to mention upgrade limitations. I would go for a variety of preamps to add variety to your signal path. Just my 2c worth.

Computers are great for mixing but suck for tracking. I'll take a mixer and a 24 track recorder any day over a computer for reliability and ease of use.

Radar 24 alternative

I just checked out iz's website-yow!! Those Radar 24's are mighty pricey!!! Any alternatives that won't land me in divorce court??

Computers are great for mixing but suck for tracking. I'll take a mixer and a 24 track recorder any day over a computer for reliability and ease of use.

I've tracked up to 10 channels at once at 48khz, 32 bit with no problem with Cubase on a 4 year old Pentium 4.

That's why I suggested Ebay. The mackie and alesis hdr's are pretty cool too.

10 tracks, that's cute :p

Based on the fact that the CPU loading was barely noticeable, I'm pretty sure I could track more than 24 tracks without a problem. I was simply pointing out what I have done. Don't think a 24 track stand alone will be able to go more than 24. Wasn't trying to be cute, just helpful. Not trying to push any system...just pointing out the limitations of self contained systems. The Radar systems, like Protools HD systems, are fine systems for the money. Long term, repair and replacement costs will be something to think about. Not to mention that systems that cost tens of thousands of $ a few years ago are now obsolete. A few years ago I bought a top end stand alone CD recorder on sale for a few hundred dollars...the new price was $1000.00. It now sits on the shelf collecting dust, why...because my DAW is PC based, cost about the same, and does a hundred times what the CD recorder will do.

What about high-end standalones? I really like the AKAI dps24 mkII. On paper,its a pretty impressive machine-I know its discontinued,but I've located a couple of "factory reconditioned" machines-.

I've had a DPS24 for about 5 years. I've never had a problem with it. Seriously. It's a solid machine. Kinda big too. So make some room if you get one. I know the recon machines you're talking about and am seriously pondering getting another one just because they ARE discontinued.

Just saw that part in your post and wanted to give ya my thoughts as a happy camper.

Peace...........

Back