Studio Desk Plans??

TaxMan88

DIY Studio Desk Plans

This post is most likely for John Sayers, but anyone who can help it would be appreciated. I'm looking for some DIY plans to build a nice (but small) studio desk. Space for about 5-6 rack units and a small recorder. No mixer, it's on the recorder. Any plans coming anywhere close to this would be fine, as I can make any modifications I need to.

Any help will be much appreciated. :D
--Tax

P.S. John, I bought your manual and KUDOS!! Very very informative, thorough, and helpful. Well worth forking over my hard earned bucks to you ;)

wood finish?

Im planning on building my desk very soon. I really like the design of the consoles on custom-consoles.com, does anyone know how to get the wood for the top of the desk(where the mouse and mixer or keyboard is)to look like their consoles? they have a sort of back finish on it or something and then the edges are beige or soemthing. any tips?

lazyboizsal said:
Im planning on building my desk very soon. I really like the design of the consoles on custom-consoles.com, does anyone know how to get the wood for the top of the desk(where the mouse and mixer or keyboard is)to look like their consoles? they have a sort of back finish on it or something and then the edges are beige or soemthing. any tips?

Buy black melamine and mount a woodgrain edge to the frames or just use woodgrain edgebanding.

Reactions: apl
Buy black melamine and mount a woodgrain edge to the frames or just use woodgrain edgebanding.
Unless you have a supplier in town it's not something that is normally stocked. Not only that, but melamine chips very easily along the edges, which look like shit when you edgeband. Takes a special melamine blade to cut it without chipping...and don't give me that 'tape" the cut bullshit either :rolleyes: it still chips. Your best bet is to POST laminate MDF with black formica or other brand of laminate, and then edgeband...which takes bearing guidel flush cutting router bits designed for the job. Maybe you are used to doing this sort of woodworking...I don't know. If you are, cool. If not....well, there is lots of little tricks to make it come out decent.
One thing that makes working with Black Melamine is planning your joinery... screwing into the edge of MDF(melamine substrate) can split it if you don't pre drill pilot holes, and fastening things through the face of it exposes the fasteners...again, if you GLUE things to the face of Black Melamine you MUST use melamine adhesive..otherwise nothing sticks :rolleyes: Working with a full sheet of 3/4" MDF is a lesson in modern woodworking problems..it's heavier than shit, and cutting it with a skill saw makes for shitty joinery...tablesaws are the only decent means of good joints...but then you need a large enough fence extension to cut widths large enough for console tops. And you need room to layout a full sheet. If you don't have a shop, you might think about contacting a cabinet shop to do the parts cutting and machining. They might even be able to order the product you choose to use. I only say this stuff because some people make it sound as if this stuff is easy to do with MDF and melamine. Well, if your a cabinet maker.......ok, if not...well, see for yourself.
fitZ

Man, this is an OLD thread. That "Brian Grey" guy is me. I haven't used that name in YEARS!

OT: Does anyone know how I could combine my old account with my new one?

LFO2 said:
Based on your specs you might find this interesting:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/546550/

$199 and rock solid. I did not think I would like mine, but I love it. Good quality all the way around and I did not have to deal with building something.

For what it is worth,

-LFO

Studio RTA and rock solid don't belong in the same sentence together. Its just cheap stuff from China. StudioRTA is owned by Sauder.

wow thanks guys. yeah im gonna build a desk soon. thinking bout somthing similar to the argosy look or sometehing like that. i want it to look as professional as possible. i seen an argosy thread but it dissapeared :)

lazyboizsal said:
wow thanks guys. yeah im gonna build a desk soon. thinking bout somthing similar to the argosy look or sometehing like that. i want it to look as professional as possible. i seen an argosy thread but it dissapeared :)

Based on the last post in there before it was deleted, I think Argosy's legal people went after the guy because he was essentially knocking off their product and posting drawings so that people could do the same. I'd probably do the same if I were them...

brzilian said:
Based on the last post in there before it was deleted, I think Argosy's legal people went after the guy because he was essentially knocking off their product and posting drawings so that people could do the same. I'd probably do the same if I were them...

for your information mate i wasnt knocking their design off at all, and also under u.k law i wasnt doing anything illegal, however if i had imported into the united states then they may of been able to bring a case against me, however they would have to prove that it was my intention to mass produce or encourage mass production of any form of studio based furniture, also they do not hold copyright over individual parts only the whole and as such the sum of the parts are exempt, otherwise omnirax would not exist neither would any other console furniture or studio furniture manufacturer exist as this would be a breach of patent or copyright as the furniture being made would bear the same similarity of use and purpose as theirs.

however i was kindly asked if i could remove these details from the server, as this server is in the united states the owners of the server could be served with removal papers, so i have removed the thread by way of good gesture to argosy.

you see the law clearly states in the uk, that any patent filed for the first time in a country other than the uk which is not recognised under the COPYRIGHT-DESIGNS AND PATENTS ACT 1988 and i quote:

Qualifying for protection
Under the CDPA 1988, design right only exists in a design document (or article) if the document (or article) itself qualifies. Put at its simplest, a design document does not qualify for design right protection in the UK if it does not have a sufficient link to a qualifying country. The qualifying countries are at present the EU countries and a further list of mainly Commonwealth countries. The USA is not one of them.

so once again brzilian you have got your facts wrong as you were wrong about thermal build up when i was making the console for my own use at home.

in future i suggest you only post about things you clearly know about and keep your dumbass comments to yourself.

oh and just so you can clarify things further read this.. this explains things in better detail. http://www.legal500.com/devs/uk/ip/ukip_040.htm

and if you still cant get it into your thick skull then please feel free to dig a hole and stick your head in there

also what really annoys me is the fact that it was a member of this very board who actually contacted argosy reguarding the thread.

its amazing what you can find out when you have the right contacts. :mad: :mad:

i really feel you pk1, It's not like your making exact replicas' and using the company's name to sell a fake product on the market. so who cares what anyone thinks. Since the old console post that you made was removed is it possible to still get some info or pics on how you constructed the desk? I can't afford to shell out 2000$ for a desk nor do i really like any of the rta desks or anything else out there. I've looked at about all the console desk options and have concluded that i can take my hard earned money and go to the wood mill! :) plus it will be a challenge

pk1 said:
for your information mate i wasnt knocking their design off at all, and also under u.k law i wasnt doing anything illegal, however if i had imported into the united states then they may of been able to bring a case against me, however they would have to prove that it was my intention to mass produce or encourage mass production of any form of studio based furniture, also they do not hold copyright over individual parts only the whole and as such the sum of the parts are exempt, otherwise omnirax would not exist neither would any other console furniture or studio furniture manufacturer exist as this would be a breach of patent or copyright as the furniture being made would bear the same similarity of use and purpose as theirs.

however i was kindly asked if i could remove these details from the server, as this server is in the united states the owners of the server could be served with removal papers, so i have removed the thread by way of good gesture to argosy.

you see the law clearly states in the uk, that any patent filed for the first time in a country other than the uk which is not recognised under the COPYRIGHT-DESIGNS AND PATENTS ACT 1988 and i quote:

Qualifying for protection
Under the CDPA 1988, design right only exists in a design document (or article) if the document (or article) itself qualifies. Put at its simplest, a design document does not qualify for design right protection in the UK if it does not have a sufficient link to a qualifying country. The qualifying countries are at present the EU countries and a further list of mainly Commonwealth countries. The USA is not one of them.

so once again brzilian you have got your facts wrong as you were wrong about thermal build up when i was making the console for my own use at home.

in future i suggest you only post about things you clearly know about and keep your dumbass comments to yourself.

oh and just so you can clarify things further read this.. this explains things in better detail. http://www.legal500.com/devs/uk/ip/ukip_040.htm

and if you still cant get it into your thick skull then please feel free to dig a hole and stick your head in there

Geez - apparently I struck a nerve...

If you take a close enough look on Argosy's site, you'll see that they provide measurements of many consoles anyway, as well as photos from many perspectives. It is almost as if they are begging to be "reverse-engineered"...

Grab some graph paper, measure your mixer, and pay them a visit. You should be able to knock something together in no time....

That said, PK1 did a great job on his console. It sucks that one bad apple spoils it for everyone.... :(

Hey guys, not to diminish pk1's creativity and project, but C O M E O N!!
Its only a raised surface for gear....why is Argosys design such a big fucking deal??? :rolleyes: Yea, I know its a nice design but shit...it isn't that hard to build something UNIQUE... Put on your thinking caps and DESIGN YOUR OWN :confused:
My god, with all the materials, tools and sources available today, theres a MILLION FUCKING IDEAS that you can do REAL SIMPLY!! Think of two sawhorses and a damn door laid on it and go from there...no one needs parts cut from CNC's....shit! A router with a flush cutting bearing/bit and a hand cut template will do wonders...shit, if anything, draw your sections in full scale on a panel of some type. Hell, theres a multitude of inexpensive products/materials/fasteners/finishes and amazing things can be done with a simple router.

MDF, OSB, PLY, CARDBOARD, PALLETS, ....crap, actually there are tons of free materials if you use your imagination....aluminum, plexiglass, glass, steel, wood ...fuck, just look around. The point is IMAGINATION, INGINUTIY, IMPROVISATION and good ole DIY:D

OK....here is a challange. I bet I can make a large console in FOUR HOURS using nothing but free stuff I've gathered in ONE AFTERNOON!! I've already got my console which I've been working on ....forever :rolleyes: (highly detailed) but I'll build this one KNOCK DOWN...and then I'll GIVE IT AWAY to who ever wants it, if anyone. Just pay for shipping. Anyway, here is what I picked up...

6- 8' shitty 2x4's,(3) 3/4"x 4'x6' panels of HONEYCOMB cardboard that I got free from a Sears recieving department, a few short 1x's and 2x's from pallets, a crappy piece of 3/4" ply , a Zildian cymbal display that was behind a music store(great dumpster finds there :D ) some metal display tubing, some electical stuff, some aluminum extrusions from the recycler and department store throwaways, some glass, some lighting parts, about 20 feet of melamine edgebanding, some naughide strips, some unusual hardware. I may go out again and look for some other interesting stuff....hmmmm, this ought to be fun... :p

Ok, adding a few screws, glue, paint and only using a skill saw(well, maybe my radial arm saw since I have one), router, drill, hammer and a few other hand tools, I'm going to do this just to show you whats possible with little money and a few tools. I'll post a pic when I'm done with some of my equipment thrown in it temporarily for pics....(excuse the vintage equipment...its all I have)

Alright, I have a few "honey do's" to do this weekend, but after that I'll throw this thing together JUST TO ILLUSTRATE some concepts. Alright, well enough ramble...later........oh. maybe this should go in the "DIY" thread. Ok, I'll put it there when I start. Oh, I'll probably have to do this after work each night for a week. Later guys....
fitZ

Back