studio desk in the making

brownbearTLE

Insomnia has gotten to me so i made a 3-D picture of a desk i wish to make for my set up

The dimensions are 72"x40"x26' (the longest part of the desk will be 40", while the recess will be 30", and the top of the desk is 26"-24" because i haven't measured that out yet). The racks will be 20" on the outside, leaving 32" for my monitor, and reference monitors

The racks are 4u with a 2" bottom (maybe taking it the bottom part out)

Its sloppy but let me know what you think!
(btw i couldn't draw in the right cabinet part because it would fill in the entire portion of it)
Screen shot 2011-04-26 at 1.59.13 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-04-26 at 1.58.57 AM.png

Looks good, I'd want my monitor elevated also, so I could shove the keyboard under it, and have that space right in front of me available when needed.

The dimensions are 72"x40"x26'
26 FEET???:eek:

:laughings: (just kidding ya)

However:
The racks will be 20" on the outside
You might want to recheck those dimensions. Rack equipment Standards require 19" clear between partitions. Then add the thickness of the material to get the required dimension. Are you planning on DIY?

You could always have the rack off to one side on a separate unit. Are you planning on having a rack or just using your daw's plugins?

Thinking out loud, some things for you to consider:

-make at least one of the pedestals 19" rack mounts for deeper things/things you don't need frequent access to.

-perhaps wall mount your monitor speakers do decouple them from the desk and keep magnetic fields farther away.

-if it was me, I'd leave room for two video monitors--many DAWs can handle this and the extra space is useful.

-are you sure you'll never want to add a small mixer to the desk top? If you do, this again pushes for wall mount speaks an not racks on the desk top.

-plan in cable distribution and mains sockets at the build stage. You'll thank yourself later.

Bob

Thinking out loud, some things for you to consider:

-make at least one of the pedestals 19" rack mounts for deeper things/things you don't need frequent access to.

-perhaps wall mount your monitor speakers do decouple them from the desk and keep magnetic fields farther away.

-if it was me, I'd leave room for two video monitors--many DAWs can handle this and the extra space is useful.

-are you sure you'll never want to add a small mixer to the desk top? If you do, this again pushes for wall mount speaks an not racks on the desk top.

-plan in cable distribution and mains sockets at the build stage. You'll thank yourself later.

Bob

I wouldnt wall mount, its better to get the speakers away from the wall, but decoupling would be good. I would go wider with the speakers though for 3 reasons, 1. it looks like you are saying that your speaker cones will be less than 32" apart, i think that is too close to get a proper stereo image. My monitors are like 40" apart and I might want to go wider. 2. right now it looks like you'll have to lean forward and get really close to be in the sweet spot, I like my sweet spot to be a little bit behind my head, so when sit back I am in it 3. like Bobbsy said, you will have room for video monitors.

and yeah 19" rack mount, cable distribution is a good idea too

The desk is almost done (i've hardly had time to work on it) and i've had some changes in design: 70"x40"x28", an extra 4u rack where the monitor is, a 15 degree curve for the other 2 racks, a \__/ shape instead of a round edge, and the front of the shelves are open. I'll throw some pics up later of the process. :)

Yes this is kind of heavy, but lighter than a lot of mdf furniture i have around the house.

As for a small mixer i'd love one, but most of my work is in the box. But i do have a presonus faderport.

Back