Stuck In The Middle With You - cover

andrushkiwt

Hey everyone, please take a moment to check out my Stuck In The Middle With You cover, done at the home studio.

Larrivee acoustic, sm7b, Superior Drummer (kick, snare), egg shaker, tambourine, Jazz bass, GNX3000 for lead guitar and bass tones. Studio One 4 Pro

Please let me know what you think about the mix. Thanks for listening

Last edited:
I think it sounds great, man. I might thin the bass a bit, sliding a HPF up slightly. But the song sounds great like it is for sure, so.. personal taste.

I think it sounds great, man. I might thin the bass a bit, sliding a HPF up slightly. But the song sounds great like it is for sure, so.. personal taste.
It's super bassy, yeah. I don't know - the bass is such a major part of the song and I got used to it turned up a bit. It's HP at 40hz with 5db cuts around 100 and 250. I added a little (2db?) of 350hz for that growly tone. I do understand how it could be a bit much though, honestly. Rest sound ok?

It's super bassy, yeah. I don't know - the bass is such a major part of the song and I got used to it turned up a bit. It's HP at 40hz with 5db cuts around 100 and 250. I added a little (2db?) of 350hz for that growly tone. I do understand how it could be a bit much though, honestly. Rest sound ok? I was expecting comments on the lead guitar tones :) Had lots of trouble getting one set up. It's originally slide guitar for those parts, so I tried my Fender but it had intonation issues and ended up using the Gibson Studio Gothic instead through the digitech.

Yeah. The whole thing sounds ok. Just maybe favor the bridge PU a bit more on the bass. The other settings are working fine.

Yeah. The whole thing sounds ok. Just maybe favor the bridge PU a bit more on the bass. The other settings are working fine.
Only got the 1 pickup on the Jazz bass. I turned the higher tone knob way down and the other 2 low/mid around 75%. With the higher tone pickup engaged, it got too bright for the song, I thought. For some reason or another, I thought the growly range helped the tune. Probably overdid it though

Ohhh. A single PU. Then I'd stick with the settings on the bass itself and go back to my OP and slide the HP up a bit.

I really like the sound and the mix to be honest - and I like the bass prominent like this - BUT - I don't like changes to the melody - for me that grates with the original and I can't sing along - somehow being a semi-tone away from the original seems to make me jump?

I really like the sound and the mix to be honest - and I like the bass prominent like this - BUT - I don't like changes to the melody - for me that grates with the original and I can't sing along - somehow being a semi-tone away from the original seems to make me jump?
oh yea i def didn't memorize the melody... he's almost talking in the verses and I changed it a bit for what seemed natural to me. Didn't want to do a note for note thing, ya know. I don't think anything is off-pitch yea? You mean just moving melody parts around a little?

Great job all around! No nits at all. Well, maybe the harmony vocals could come up just a tad. Other than that, no nits!

oh yea i def didn't memorize the melody... he's almost talking in the verses and I changed it a bit for what seemed natural to me. Didn't want to do a note for note thing, ya know. I don't think anything is off-pitch yea? You mean just moving melody parts around a little?
I think he's most likely talking about the "I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair." You're singing a half step lower than the melody. Still in key ... just not the note he's singing.

Mostly Majors and minor 3rds. Compare it to the original - some of the choices are pretty vital to the original tune - so while they're a choice you've made they are kind of unusual?

I think he's most likely talking about the "I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair." You're singing a half step lower than the melody. Still in key ... just not the note he's singing.
Ah ya gotcha, makes sense. I get it. I admit I don't know it super well, so he's certainly right.

Mostly Majors and minor 3rds. Compare it to the original - some of the choices are pretty vital to the original tune - so while they're a choice you've made they are kind of unusual?
Eh, it's what came out, def didn't think too hard about it. I had a small feeling not being 100% to the original might strike a chord on here... its' one of those tunes that ppl who really like it know every intricacy and inflection. I get what you're saying and thanks for listening and commenting.

I like that - his voice drops off at the end of "chair" with a bit of vocal fry.

Pretty neat for sure. Bass might be a little wooly. Maybe not. How'd you mic the Sigma?

Pretty neat for sure. Bass might be a little wooly. Maybe not. How'd you mic the Sigma?
Sm7B about 12 inches away from halfway between 12th fret and sound hole. Kept the foam cover on the mic, like usual. Not a great sounding room, it gets a little much in the 1-3k range on guitar and vocals.

That what I thought you meant. I'm gob smacked. But I shouldn't be. I use a 545 on acoustics for effect for a long time. The SM7 sounds a LOT better than I would have guessed.

That what I thought you meant. I'm gob smacked. But I shouldn't be. I use a 545 on acoustics for effect for a long time. The SM7 sounds a LOT better than I would have guessed.
Oh cool thanks. Bit of EQ in there and maybe 3db of CLA76 compression on them too. Plus a few things on the master bus.

Back